• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fire Extinguisher?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
For those who carry a fire extinguisher, where do you keep yours if not in the trunk?

I'm considering putting one in the console box between the seats or just remove the console entirely and place a larger one on the transmission tunnel even though I'd like to keep the look having one concealed in the center console, I might vie for safety.

I feel like if there was a sudden fire, by the time I got out of the car, opened the trunk, got the extinguisher, and went to put out the fire, my Pine would be done for, so I'm looking for a spot in the cockpit to stow it. Any advice or stories?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I mounted mine in the trunk, but if I wanted it closer I suppose I’d mount it behind the front seats, either on the parcel shelf or vertically on the wheel arch.

alpine_64

Donation Time
All depends on size... The usual requirement here for historic racing is 1kg capacity (odd they use weight for what i would assume should be volume measurement) and metal mounting bracket.

These mount well on a roll bar cross brace of you run one....

Or for more concealed position, mount on your passenger side floor between the seat and next to the sill where a handbrake would be on that side.

The other option would be pass side firewall...but a faff to get at in a rush and no good if its a wiring fire under dash... But we have lucas wiring... What could go wrong??

The small factory ones mounted on the vertical panel on the B post or on the vertical of the A post on passenger side front kick panel.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I keep mine in the trunk, I think it is safer. If your car catches fire the first thing you should do is get out of the car, not go for a fire extinguisher. I keep a 5 lbs in the trunk, in a fire the first thing I will do is get out of the car and determine if I can put it out. If the fire gets out of hand quick, I am already out of the car. This is why I added a real fuse box and a main fuse at the battery and check my fuel lines.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We carry two in the cabin. They are bolted to the inside of the sill and sit tight against it. They are not intrusive and you do not hit it when getting in or out or when driving the car. Putting an extinguisher in the boot (trunk) is not the best idea as it simply takes too long to get the lock undone and the extinguisher out. If you ever need a fire extinguisher, you need it immediately!
Tim R
P1140480.jpeg P1150150.jpeg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's a wad of keys doesn't the weight mess up the tumblers.

Tracks require metal brackets so they don't let go and go bouncing around on impact. But naturally they don't say that because they don't want you to think rutt ro I could actually wreck my car ;)

Last edited:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm with Warren about the metal brackets. I work corners and anything that breaks loose is an unguided missile. Will pucker you up more than any race car crashing. Mines in the trunk but have been thinking of moving it to in front of the passenger seat.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
The two fire extinguishers in my car come with their own hard plastic brackets that locate around the extinguisher in two places plus there is a 'safety pin' clip around the neck that locks them into the mounting and prevents them from being able to accidentally come out. The brackets are fixed permanently in position and are not going anywhere BUT if we need them they can be pulled out of the bracket and deployed in a couple of seconds.

Tim R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine is in front of the passenger seat. The mounting bracket is adjustable and uses the seat's front two bolts. It is easy to reach over from the driver's seat to release the two straps.

Mike

upload_2020-9-7_18-12-5.png

upload_2020-9-7_18-13-18.png

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I got hit once and all the stuff in trunk bashed up the sides of the ol Falcon. Spray cans ruptured and ask the car designers how pickup trucks have intrusion from the bed to passenger compartment. Sorry for the personal story but the track requirements are likely cause the plastic ones are prone to breaking and are meant for household use generally.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
What type of extinguisher are you guys using? I had to use a dry chemical one in a large laboratory one time and it took 2 weeks to clean up most of the powder that disbursed and covered everything. Preferable to your car burning up, but I would really hate to set one off in my car! CO2 seems like a much better choice?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Gosh don't worry about them taking your cigar lighter...
Do they give you 5 years on them for service life. What a racket it is I've seen guys just swapping tags on service calls.
I think I'd be happy with dry chemical and one of those fire blankets and a super low deductible.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I carry First Alert disposable extinguishers behind or beside the seats. They were purchased ten years ago. Used one to put out a gasoline/carb fire. Worked just fine and did not leave a mess. The fire did though.

Bill