• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early Series shock conversion

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Three sets of shock conversion brackets for sale. Does not include shock absorbers.
$ 185.00 + shipping of 15.50.
Thanks to all who bought the other 7 sets.

Limey

Donation Time
That's great news (and very kind). Delivery address is to Watford, WD18 8YS, UK. Please let me know total costs inc del. Is PayPal OK?
Many thanks!

Oliver

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are photos of the brackets from Doug.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0722[1].JPG
    IMG_0722[1].JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0723[1].JPG
    IMG_0723[1].JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0724[1].JPG
    IMG_0724[1].JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0725[1].JPG
    IMG_0725[1].JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 64

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Personally I have not looked into adj. shocks for this but I think some others who bought the brackets did.
Maybe one or two of them will offer some advise. I am using Gabriel Gas Ryder, SVT, # 69622 which was listed as being for Corvette.

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
Three sets of shock conversion brackets for sale. Does not include shock absorbers.
$ 185.00 + shipping of 15.50.
Thanks to all who bought the other 7 sets.
Hello. I am interested in a set. I have a series 2. I am finishing up the underside of the car on a rotisserie Sounds like they would be a good upgrade from the old lever shocks. I am up in New Hampshire
Many thanks John

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi John, you are in luck today as your purchase is the last available set. They are a good upgrade, they are strong enough for any way you would ever use your car.
Send me you address information and I will have them in the mail Monday.
Check your PM for some other information.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
What adjustable shocks would you recommend?
Thanks
Oliver

Oliver,

Adjustable shocks come in a lot of variations and prices and several companies in the U.S. sell adjustable rear shocks for the C3 ('68-'82) Corvette.

Single adjustable (rebound only) rear shocks for a C3 are about $120 each in the U.S. An example is the Koni 8040-1020. A friend has similar (but longer) single adjustable Koni's on his Mk-II Tiger and they work very well.

Single adjustable (one knob controls both compression and rebound) rear shocks for a C3 are about $160 each in the U.S. An example is the QA1 TS403.

Double adjustable (separate compression and rebound control) rear shocks for a C3 are about $240 each in the U.S. An example is the QA1 TD403.

Triple adjustable (separate low speed compression, high speed compression and rebound control) rear shocks for a C3 are $500+ each. Emphasis on the plus.
Spax makes shocks in England and their catalog shows a single adjustable (rebound only) shock (G022) for the rear of a '63-'82 Corvette for £100 including VAT (about $126). Note that Spax refers to the '63-'82 Corvette as "Series II" which makes no sense on this side of the pond.

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Barry - Many thanks for the superb advice. Until your email I had managed to find these Avo's- Available single and double Ali or steel, wide or narrow body. Similar prices. Much appreciated !!
AVO.png

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Barry - Many thanks for the superb advice. Until your email I had managed to find these Avo's- Available single and double Ali or steel, wide or narrow body. Similar prices. Much appreciated !!
View attachment 20430

Interesting! I did not know about the AVO shocks, but they appear to have a lot of options.

Limey

Donation Time
Interesting! I did not know about the AVO shocks, but they appear to have a lot of options.
I'll go single adjustable. I'll put Avos on the front as well. To be honest, although I built the HA to factory spec I have not come to enjoy the '60's feel as I thought I would. When 'pressing on' things feel very floaty and random and how anybody could feel remotely in control driving these at 80+is beyond me. Death trap is what springs to mind...I am on Crossplys tho...

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You need to go to radials and make sure all suspension and steering components are top notch. Then there are brakes! It is never ending!

Limey

Donation Time
You need to go to radials and make sure all suspension and steering components are top notch. Then there are brakes! It is never ending!
All is in perfect condition as per factory. Brakes are OK and I can live with and quite enjoy the grip/lack of grip of the crossplies. I just can't get used to the wandering steering dead ahead and the way the back hops and skips.

The front springs are new as are the dampers. The rear Armstrong were specially remade for me by the company that now owns Armstrong and Chris Draycott (racing guru )rebuilt the steering box. The only things not new are the rear springs. I'll have to eliminate those from my suspicions and get them remade.

If it still skips about like a 3 legged cow on ice I'll have to have a rethink and put a sack of wet sand in the trunk....

alpine_64

Donation Time
Oliver... All your concerns come from the deflection and tread movment of the crosssply tyres.. If you went to dunlop racing x-ply they'd be better.. But a set of decent radial tyres would still be a better option. The maxxis tyres come with a whitewall in correct alpine size and i think veredistein do some great period radials for you with original pattern tread and sidewall but uprated rubber and belting...

As for shocks... Remember the weight difference between the car they were designed for ( vette) v alpine.

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver... All your concerns come from the deflection and tread movment of the crosssply tyres.. If you went to dunlop racing x-ply they'd be better.. But a set of decent radial tyres would still be a better option. The maxxis tyres come with a whitewall in correct alpine size and i think veredistein do some great period radials for you with original pattern tread and sidewall but uprated rubber and belting...

As for shocks... Remember the weight difference between the car they were designed for ( vette) v alpine.

Thanks Mike - I'll look into those tyres as I wouldn't want to loose the whitewalls. Maybe keep the crossplies for shows.

The Avo shocks are fully adjustable so would like to think they'll handle the weight if I set them up right. What do you think is the weight difference between the Alpine and the 'Vette?