• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
There were no factory mirrors ..... 3 1/2 to 4" does the trick I feel ..... Guy, I kinda liked that detail on the rocker, door and fender ... how come you didn't go with it? .... Still looks Great!

.... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
David, I liked it as well. I was noticeing that having that feature made it too easy for people to pick up on the fact that I used a Honda S2000 chassis and I wanted a cleaner look as the Sunbeams are. That is why I decided to take it out.
The other change I am making is the mirrors and that is why I asked what size they were. When I search for bullet style mirrors it became apparent the the "mirror" itself stuck out in front of the housing.
Mine need and want to be electric so I am making my own housings to mount a round mirror and get rid of the bulky mirrors that are on the car now.
Thanks!
Guy

Last edited:

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Had to go back in the thread to see the mirrors you had on it. .... Those are quit "LARGE" looking on the car. ... Looking forward to see what you come up with. ..... That truly is a Unique Alpine.

..... David

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are the hand formed pieces of filler material for the rocker and doors. Sure could have used a brake.door bottom filler.jpg door filler bend.jpg rocker filler shape.jpg rocker panel filler.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Passenger door, rocker and fender almost done, need to work on making the gap even all the way around.

rocker panel ready.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The first thing I did was bend the piece in two places over some round pipe, then match the ends together and weld up the seam. After that the angle of the door was cut then massaged to match the door profile. Next step is to attach the mounting studs (3) and begin the housing fabrication.

base seam.jpg base seam weld.jpg base profile.jpg base side.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I ordered a pair of round mirrors, waiting for them to arrive so the new side mirror housings can be finished. In the meantime been cleaning up some loose ends that I didn't like. The spare tire well was too low at the back of the car which made the license plate low to cover it.
I did bottom out the back of the car twice on very steep driveways which hit the bottom of the license plate. It was the temporary white and blue plate that I didn't care about anyway.
So now the spare tire well is raised in the back and the car is sporting a new license plate holder with two lights tucked under the bumper. Looks much better in my opinion.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
John, I wanted to go that direction and spent countless hours searching for an electricaly operated set. In the end they just don't make them, so it left no choice but to make my own. There were some close contenders like the newer Mini Cooper or the ones used on the 1970 Olds 442, for me they just were not round enough. Hopefully I can make mine work. The mirror glass arrived yesterday and I think the stock market is closed today so more time can be spent working on these.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry for not posting recently as I have been dealing with a bout of
diverticulitis
(die-vur-tik-yoo-LIE-tis)
I am sure others out there like DanR are familiar with this condition. Remedy is a BRAT diet bannanas, rice, applesauce and toast.
Should be back soon.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, the diverticulitis is under control for now.
I did manage to finish the drivers side door and rocker panel as well as the mirrors, so took it to the body shop for a rough estimate.
Paint and body work in CALIFORNIA is ridiculus. Also did not want to put the car in paint jail because I don't want to miss the Queens English car show in September. So as I get back up to full speed, will be tackling the finish body work (O the dust!) Since the car is not a trailer queen show car it will be fine.