• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Here's another Beam

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.3 ecoboost with 6R80, A/C and EPS.
Barry, I'll buy the ecoboost (no six speeds) and A/C if you install. Me, I'm getting too old for that sh!t. A Chevy rod 1725 would be much more likely. Greatly improved performance with stock appearance. No need for EPS, steering is very light compared to the Series Alpines.

I have mixed feelings about our "bargain". On one hand I really hate to part with 10 grand, but on the other know I cannot buy anything that good for that amount.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Vintage Air has a Mini under dash A/C unit that fits between the glove box and the package tray. They have a diverter available to send the cold air to vents you can install where the radio is located.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Barry, I'll buy the ecoboost (no six speeds) and A/C if you install. Me, I'm getting too old for that sh!t. A Chevy rod 1725 would be much more likely. Greatly improved performance with stock appearance. No need for EPS, steering is very light compared to the Series Alpines.

I have mixed feelings about our "bargain". On one hand I really hate to part with 10 grand, but on the other know I cannot buy anything that good for that amount.

Bill
Bill there were a couple of prototype "algero" fastbacks.... V8 powered.. The arrow range engine bay is much more accommodating of engine swaps...

That said a nicely built 1725 woild be nice.. Maintain the stock appearance.... You could build a 2litre+ stroked 1725.... And.. And ... And :p

65beam

Donation Time

Bill
Bill,
You'll never win a drag race but at legal speeds you'll cruise in comfort. If you decide to do work to the engine I would suggest buying a complete engine including intake and exhaust manifolds. You would have to modify the series Alpine intake to offset the angle of the engine.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Congratulations, Bill! I had assumed "Orange Alpine" was you and was sorry to see "you" get outbid by McCurdy. It is nice to know that this car will be driven and enjoyed!
Jim, I'm glad you noticed. An explanation is in order. Shortly after my initial bid, I got a phone call from Judy Sharkey, wondering if I had bid on the car. Years ago, Bob had a GT fastback and he was very interested in this car, but if I was bidding, she did not want to compete with me. An interesting exchange ended with the understanding I would chase the bid to 10K, then the Sharkeys would be free to bid. I made a couple more bids on the car. Twenty minutes before the end of the sale, I tried to up my bid of 6500 (which had been topped) but discovered that our internet connection was gone. Disaster!! What to do? I called Judy and explained my situation. She agreed to bid on the car, if it went for less than 10K, it would be ours. If she had to go over 10K, it would be theirs. The other guy quit at 9500, so we got the car. Judy called the seller and explained our problem. He is cool with handing the car over to Barb and me and accepting our money. That will probably happen Monday afternoon.

Henchforth, the car shall be know as "Judy" in honor of the great lady who is our hero and A.K.A "McCurdy".

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Jim, I'm glad you noticed. An explanation is in order. Shortly after my initial bid, I got a phone call from Judy Sharkey, wondering if I had bid on the car. Years ago, Bob had a GT fastback and he was very interested in this car, but if I was bidding, she did not want to compete with me. An interesting exchange ended with the understanding I would chase the bid to 10K, then the Sharkeys would be free to bid. I made a couple more bids on the car. Twenty minutes before the end of the sale, I tried to up my bid of 6500 (which had been topped) but discovered that our internet connection was gone. Disaster!! What to do? I called Judy and explained my situation. She agreed to bid on the car, if it went for less than 10K, it would be ours. If she had to go over 10K, it would be theirs. The other guy quit at 9500, so we got the car. Judy called the seller and explained our problem. He is cool with handing the car over to Barb and me and accepting our money. That will probably happen Monday afternoon.

Henchforth, the car shall be know as "Judy" in honor of the great lady who is our hero and A.K.A "McCurdy".

Bill
Bill,
Jean and I figured the "orange alpine " was you but when we saw "McCurdy" we wondered if the buyer could be Rick McCurdy in New York. I never would have thought it could be Judy and Bob! The arrangement you and Judy worked out is real team work. For those that don't know Bob and Judy, they have a low mileage almost totally original series 5 and they have a series 5 that is a very early Jose conversion. It's probably been forty years or longer since Bob had the GT.

65beam

Donation Time
I thought the same thing! I almost called him to congratulate him. Glad I waited!
Jean made a comment that Rick does spend some time in his Tiger and the TR race car so he would notice a difference if he had been the buyer. Would Judy be happy with a car with a roof since they have the top up only if weather demands it being up?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jean made a comment that Rick does spend some time in his Tiger and the TR race car so he would notice a difference if he had been the buyer. Would Judy be happy with a car with a roof since they have the top up only if weather demands it being up?
I think that in this instance, the answer is "Yes", but not as happy as she would be in that car with the top down. They really became attached to their fastback and I tried to persuade them to feel free to bid against me. But this car is an Alpine, they had a GT, this one is white, theirs was blue. That was enough for Bob to decide to step aside. Not the same. It was also helpful that they are already up to their ------ in Alpines.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
I think that in this instance, the answer is "Yes", but not as happy as she would be in that car with the top down. They really became attached to their fastback and I tried to persuade them to feel free to bid against me. But this car is an Alpine, they had a GT, this one is white, theirs was blue. That was enough for Bob to decide to step aside. Not the same. It was also helpful that they are already up to their ------ in Alpines.

Bill
Jean said it would look good beside our GT but we're into another project and we're renting storage as it is so now Bill has it. We know about being in up to our necks with Sunbeams. I know of one person that has a lot of storage space and the cars to fill that storage.