• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The Journey Begins - Series I V6 Restomod

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
That would be consistent with single planes in general. That's why the drag guys use them.

The easy way out is with the conventional carb but that takes all the fun out of it....been talking with my engine guys today...they have some thoughts on ways to go with either the stock or Offy intake...I haven't bought an Offy yet but I guess I'll pull the trigger so as to have a comparison. One of my guys held the original patent on the Blue Thunder intake...needless to say, he's pretty sharp on that stuff. I'm probably over obsessed with the EFI idea but its always fun to have a good science project which is all this may turn out to be.[/QUOTE]

Rockonp04

Donation Time
That would be consistent with single planes in general. That's why the drag guys use them.

The easy way out is with the conventional carb but that takes all the fun out of it....been talking with my engine guys today...they have some thoughts on ways to go with either the stock or Offy intake...I haven't bought an Offy yet but I guess I'll pull the trigger so as to have a comparison. One of my guys held the original patent on the Blue Thunder intake...needless to say, he's pretty sharp on that stuff. I'm probably over obsessed with the EFI idea but its always fun to have a good science project which is all this may turn out to be.
[/QUOTE]
Someone really needs to do a 2 barrel Holley Sniper single plane vs a carb dual-port 390 carb comparison. I would have done it but don't have the time or the dinero to dump into something like this.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
The hardware piece actually comes from another vendor , EFI Systems. And, since that forum post, Holley has removed that option from the hand held controller option but you can still program it via lap top...albeit for more experienced users.

I’ve discussed it with Chris at EFI systems...it sounds like it is probably the answer as you can effectively emulate a mechanical carb with separate primaries/secondaries. The reason Holley has eliminated the option from the basic software is that it (according to them) doesn’t work for everyone...unfortunately, no one can seem to answer the question as to how it will work with the Offy dual port intake...I think the answer will be to just take a flyer and try it...worst case I’ll have to unload a Sniper somewhere and probably take a bit of a bath...more research with my engine builder to ensue...

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I've been following the fuel injection posts here and have a little info that might be of interest.
I talked to Blueprint Engines to day re. FI and there recommendations are the Holly Sniper, I asked about the duel plane manifold deal discussed,their answer was though they understood the question,they run all their stuff on duel plane manifolds,they also say they have run Fast FI and they get better performance, horsepower with the Holly
Just some stuff from Blueprint that might be interesting?

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Except the dilemma here is that the Offy manifold is a dual PORT not a dual plane...that seems to be the conundrum which I didn’t initially understand.The Sniper does appear to be the only 4 bbl EFI that might work as long as its accompanied with the third party progressive linkage mod that allows it more or less emulate a mechanical carb.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's been a while since a progress report. While the structural work has been going on we've still been restoring other parts to be ready for assembly. The rear end is powder coated and reassembled...viewers will note the homage to Ford with the rust colored pumpkin. The steering box and relay box have both been rebuilt. The steering column is shortened and set up for Dan R's EPS system. Folks that are experienced with Dan's EPS will note that we made a bit of a modification to the system...rather than welding a fitting on to the shaft to couple with the EPS we machined the shaft itself to fit and thus eliminating a potential failure point. I trust my machinist's skills more than my welding skills!

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2079 (2).jpg
    IMG_2079 (2).jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 68

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Or the 2 barrel sniper adapted to the ported stock Ranger intake.
I sent an email to Holly tech and ask about FI for the 2.8 motor ? And got a part # response the answer was if you using the motocraft carb, 2300 the part # is 550-849 this is all Greek to me at the moment
Im waiting on a V6 car to be delivered that I've agreed to finish so it looks like I'll be upping my learning curve. Edit should read 2150 Motocraft

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
After a lot of discussion with people here and some research I’ve about become convinced that the Offey intake may not be all it’s cracked up to be...it’s popular because it’s the only 4 bbl option available. The primary reason to use it is to be able to take advantage of the Holley 390 carb but with EFI it’s a different story. We’re going to be doing a comparative flow bench test of the Offey vs a ported and modified stock 2 bbl intake...my engine guys are betting that the stock intake will win.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are some that are convinced the entire Holley/Offy thing is about looks. That a stock intake and Ford 2 bbl carb make as much power as the expensive beautiful parts. Me, I don't know, but tend to be suspicious.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
After a lot of discussion with people here and some research I’ve about become convinced that the Offey intake may not be all it’s cracked up to be...it’s popular because it’s the only 4 bbl option available. The primary reason to use it is to be able to take advantage of the Holley 390 carb but with EFI it’s a different story. We’re going to be doing a comparative flow bench test of the Offey vs a ported and modified stock 2 bbl intake...my engine guys are betting that the stock intake will win.
You may be right having said all that the first response I received from Holly said if you had the motocraft carb 2150 use this FI. You are correct about the Offy the only reason to use it is to allow the 390 carb,if you have an Offy use the adaptor,if you have the stock manifold use it I have both so my choice. In either case the FI recommended remains the same.

Last edited: