• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Well, looks like I am on my own with this part of the build. Reaching out to PROCRAFT for suggestions on what Tig welder I should buy.
here are two to look at Harbor Freight Omni Pro 220 Eastwood Company TIG 200 both are inverters and will weld up to 1/4" id probably go with the one from Eastwood its comparable to the High buck Lincoln, and from what I see has all the s.... Flow meter Torch etc. I own a Lincoln Square Wave Deal not what you'll need. by the way .035 stainless is thin.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks much!
Hard to understand why the Eastwood™ cost less than Harborfreight™
I definitely want a foot control

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Thanks much!
Hard to understand why the Eastwood™ cost less than Harborfreight™
I definitely want a foot control
I think Harbor Freights deal is coupons so the price is generally higher,and most everything is made in China,where as Eastwood's stuff Is made here, also HF is comparing there's to Lincolns high roller inverter,the only down side is they all have a Air Cooled torch just means not a long duty cycle there are water cooled adders for these But you not doing production work,Air Cooled torches work just fine.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Appreciate it much!
Good information, going through websites and ads to see if I can score a used one.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Well, looks like I am on my own with this part of the build. Reaching out to PROCRAFT for suggestions on what Tig welder I should buy.

Are you anywhere near a welder that does stuff for boats? They do a lot of thin wall stainless welding where the end result has to look noce.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you anywhere near a welder that does stuff for boats? They do a lot of thin wall stainless welding where the end result has to look noce.
Good suggestion.
I called one today and it turns out the owner is an old friends son. He wanted me to take pictures so he could say no. I will wait and take it to him after the long weekend and try to convince him to do it. Hate to spend that much money on a welder that I will probable only use once for stainless steel.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
here are two to look at Harbor Freight Omni Pro 220 Eastwood Company TIG 200 both are inverters and will weld up to 1/4" id probably go with the one from Eastwood its comparable to the High buck Lincoln, and from what I see has all the s.... Flow meter Torch etc. I own a Lincoln Square Wave Deal not what you'll need. by the way .035 stainless is thin.

What do you think about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...de-20&linkId=ddb8eb5c678726a1ff2d95c2a8e8ac6b

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I agree with you now that I see that the Eastwood comes with the regulator (didn't see that in the photos).

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You are right, I saw that you can use either Argon or Helium and even a mix of the two.
Thanks
Picked up the filler rods from Grainger today, welder coming out of Nevada from Eastwood.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just got my new toy. Picking up the rest of the filler rods from Grainger™ and a bottle of Argon from Airgas™Tig Welder.jpg

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You are right, I saw that you can use either Argon or Helium and even a mix of the two.
Thanks
Picked up the filler rods from Grainger today, welder coming out of Nevada from Eastwood.
Helium is used because it generates more heat ,so to speak,for the same amperage

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Spent the day getting my welding cart converted to hold both welders and gas tanks while still being able to fit it under my bench in the garage. Real estate in my tiny garage is already at a premium. After the cart was done all that needed to be moved was my power strip up that was mounted to the underside front edge of the bench.Welding Cart.jpg

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Got to practice TIG welding for a bit and of course it will take some getting use to. Reminds me of OXY/Acetalene welding get a puddle going and slowly add the filler metal. Stay in one place too long and it will blow out, not long enough and your filler will not stick.
Still need more practice to get comfortable with it.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I started to blend the back of the doors to match the quarter panels, so far so good. Trying to tie up all the loose ends before turning it over to the body and paint shop.IMG_20191019_093003.jpg