• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
250px-RichardPettyRoadrunner.jpg
:confused::rolleyes:o_O

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
So far I have found three shops to AVOID! So F------g pissed off right now. First it was the door glass place, I won't mention any names but his initials are TriCityGlass, total loser and liar. Second was the metal fab shop in Belmont, another looser that could not figure out how to cut three equal lenght bumpers to make to longer ones with just one weld. So he cut my third bumper into four pieces. Did nothing after two m0nths, so I took them away from him and now that brings us to the third total effin loser Cantwell welding in San Bruno. I accepted his price and was told they would be done in two weeks, left messages for him to call me after the third week and needless to say never got a call back.
I drove there this morning and asked what had he got done, NOTHING!!!! Give me my bumpers an F off! Now looking for a REPUTABLE welding shop that knows what they are doing to weld Stainless Steel bumpers and polish them out......
Thanks for letting me vent guys.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
THIS IS WHY I DO MY OWN STUFF
So far I have found three shops to AVOID! So F------g pissed off right now. First it was the door glass place, I won't mention any names but his initials are TriCityGlass, total loser and liar. Second was the metal fab shop in Belmont, another looser that could not figure out how to cut three equal lenght bumpers to make to longer ones with just one weld. So he cut my third bumper into four pieces. Did nothing after two m0nths, so I took them away from him and now that brings us to the third total effin loser Cantwell welding in San Bruno. I accepted his price and was told they would be done in two weeks, left messages for him to call me after the third week and needless to say never got a call back.
I drove there this morning and asked what had he got done, NOTHING!!!! Give me my bumpers an F off! Now looking for a REPUTABLE welding shop that knows what they are doing to weld Stainless Steel bumpers and polish them out......
THIS IS WHY I DO MY OWN THING,LIKE BUILDING CARS ETC.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I hear ya buddy, unfortunately for me I don't have a tig welder for stainless steel. Too bad you are not closer.
:(

loose_electron

Donation Time
Give me my bumpers an F off! Now looking for a REPUTABLE welding shop that knows what they are doing to weld Stainless Steel bumpers and polish them out......

If nothing better shows up, people that do marine welding (bimini tops for boats and similar) have a lot of experience welding stainelss and making it look good. Take a look in that direction if nothing else is out there.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, Never tried bumpers, but lots of industrial stainless pipe in sizes from 4" to 12" in the paper mill as a pipefitter. Anything bigger was machine Tig welded. Also stainless exhaust tubing. Chamfer edges, tack well and use the right thickness rod and amp setting. Alternate sides in 2" sections. Practice on a few scrap pieces. Easier than stick welding mild steel.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/stick-welding-stainless.html

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Stainless is easily stick welded if you practice on a scrap piece.

It probably is, however I only have a MIG welder. I took it to my neighbor that welded my exhaust modification for me. He is a certified welder that worked with my Brother in law. He is looking at it to share his thoughts before proceeding.
The welding is only half the issue as it can tend to shrink and warp, then it has to be polished out so that you can't tell anything was done. Funny thing is these bumpers from Viet Nam actually have the ends welded on and you can not tell at all from the surface. So we know it can be done, the question is how much time needs to be spent on them?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
It probably is, however I only have a MIG welder. I took it to my neighbor that welded my exhaust modification for me. He is a certified welder that worked with my Brother in law. He is looking at it to share his thoughts before proceeding.
The welding is only half the issue as it can tend to shrink and warp, then it has to be polished out so that you can't tell anything was done. Funny thing is these bumpers from Viet Nam actually have the ends welded on and you can not tell at all from the surface. So we know it can be done, the question is how much time needs to be spent on them?
Do if you had a neighbor who welded muffler deal why not the bumpers?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Joel, Never tried bumpers, but lots of industrial stainless pipe in sizes from 4" to 12" in the paper mill as a pipefitter. Anything bigger was machine Tig welded. Also stainless exhaust tubing. Chamfer edges, tack well and use the right thickness rod and amp setting. Alternate sides in 2" sections. Practice on a few scrap pieces. Easier than stick welding mild steel.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/stick-welding-stainless.html
Don't think it's easier than than mild, I've welded a lot of stainless,inconel,hastaloy,and never stick welded any of it,I did a kitchen job once pain in the ass even with small diameter rod after that bought an air cooled torch for my portable rig makes life easier on jobs like that.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Here's a thought get the bumpers back got how you want,use a back up plate ,copper if yo can find,get some 304l stick rod have your welder buddy have a crack at it only problem you'll have to finish.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor

He has them now, I was not introduced to him until a few weeks ago. I saw his welds on the exhaust and feel that he can do the job. The question is does he have the time to do it.

Here's a thought get the bumpers back got how you want,use a back up plate ,copper if yo can find,get some 304l stick rod have your welder buddy have a crack at it only problem you'll have to finish.

The second guy I took it do has done a lot of work for Brizio and talked about a copper plate to control the heat better. After two phone calls that were not returned I knew something was up. As soon as he told me nothing was done yet, I demanded he return them to me now and got the hell out of there.
I had entertained getting 304 wire and gas for my mig, but for a one time thing, did not see the value and the fact that it needs to look like mirror with no defects.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Stick welding relatively thin metal and making it look good is not easy, at least not for me. For something as thin and appearance sensitive as a SS bumper, MIG welding would be a lot easier for me than stick welding.

TIG is clearly the best method for welding relatively thin stainless, but most of us don't have the equipment or skill (highly perishable).

Many of us have a MIG welder that can handle 10 or 12 gauge stainless. A bottle of tri-mix gas, a spool of LSi wire and changing to DC+ is all that is necessary to weld a stainless bumper.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Stick welding relatively thin metal and making it look good is not easy, at least not for me. For something as thin and appearance sensitive as a SS bumper, MIG welding would be a lot easier for me than stick welding.

TIG is clearly the best method for welding relatively thin stainless, but most of us don't have the equipment or skill (highly perishable).

Many of us have a MIG welder that can handle 10 or 12 gauge stainless. A bottle of tri-mix gas, a spool of LSi wire and changing to DC+ is all that is necessary to weld a stainless bumper.

You nailed it!
These bumpers are thin, that is why I gave it to an expert whose standards are as high as mine.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, looks like I am on my own with this part of the build. Reaching out to PROCRAFT for suggestions on what Tig welder I should buy.