• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Anyone seen this Sunbeam restore in French?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
YEP! Watched the whole thing:) Did'nt miss a word.

Learned a few things/methods in sheet metal fabricating too!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We had this in the Harrington section already. Nice watch but lots of French talk. Some weird approaches though...

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I speak American, hard enough to learn British English about these cars, French? Maybe a few words.
Anyway, most of the show was standing around talking. A few tips. Not really that informative in my opinion.
Guess the engine, transmission and front suspension was all ok and needed no attention. Or maybe I just didn't know what was being said.
It was worth the watch.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not very often that a Sunbeam appears in of those vehicle restoration shows. Specifically when it's about a Harrington. So we have to view it , don't we ?

On the other hand I'm always surprised where they put lengthy emphasis on. In this case they spend a lot's of time just to get the diff pinion seal out in a completely wrong way- hmmm...

65beam

Donation Time
Not very often that a Sunbeam appears in of those vehicle restoration shows. Specifically when it's about a Harrington. So we have to view it , don't we ?

On the other hand I'm always surprised where they put lengthy emphasis on. In this case they spend a lot's of time just to get the diff pinion seal out in a completely wrong way- hmmm...
What is the correct way to remove the seal?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Very good question. The correct way would be to use the proper Rootes tool for the job. Since not many of us may have it , there is a different approach. You bore 2 holes into the metal ring and turn in the biggest 2 set screws you have. Then you just wiggle the old seal out by using pliers. Alternatively and to speed it up you may use a crowfoot/hammer. Get the crowfoot behind one of the setscrews and just hammer it out. Much better than totally destroying the outer ring ;)

P.S. If I say pliers I mean the biggest pliers you have...

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I use the seal puller like they originally tried using. I don't like drilling metal and risk getting metal shavings into the bearings or the gears. My puller has two different size ears . If the seal doesn't move I exert a little more force using a hammer. The seal usually comes out looking bad but it's junk anyway.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Try it, you'll be surprised. Almost no risk of metal shavings in the diff since the drill is transporting them to the outside. Especially if you put a bit of grease onto the drill flanges. It worked with almost all Alpine oil seals over time except a nasty output seal on a Tiger Toploader gearbox...

loose_electron

Donation Time
Vraiment c'est tres interessant, mais ce nest pas une Peugeot.

I found the price haggle part kind of funny, the French don't horse trade as aggressively as Americans. God, my French sucks these days.