• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for advice. rear end on my series 2

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear end on my series 2. I removed the hubs after a big fight, found that the bearing on one side is shot. Also the collars have moved. Not sure of their final position? I removed the differential and found all of the bolts on the crown wheel very loose. Also one of the bolts had sheared off and was sitting in the housing . I noticed that the journal on one side was not seated flush to the opposite side, like it had shifted (see picture) question is what should I do about it? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 20200513_185140.jpg
    20200513_185140.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 60

RootesRacer

Donation Time
What you see there is normal differences in the castings, the studs hold the saddles in place and should not have much movement even though the saddles look like they move an 1/8th of an inch.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Doesn't look normal to me. Have seen many differentials but none so badly shifted. Either the saddles have been confused or that specific one came from another diff. Weird...

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear end on my series 2. I removed the hubs after a big fight, found that the bearing on one side is shot. Also the collars have moved. Not sure of their final position? I removed the differential and found all of the bolts on the crown wheel very loose. Also one of the bolts had sheared off and was sitting in the housing . I noticed that the journal on one side was not seated flush to the opposite side, like it had shifted (see picture) question is what should I do about it? Thanks for any advice!
This was a race car back in the 60s so even though it only has 9k on the clock I think it was driven hard

RootesRacer

Donation Time
in that position, does the bearing have a flat face to butt against? The photo doesnt show this so this is why I ask. The saddle should be matched to one side of the pumpkin or the other and is not interchangeable to both sides. Also, like rod and main caps on engines, you cant just take them from one motor and put them on another as they are machined as a set.

londoner

Gold Level Sponsor
in that position, does the bearing have a flat face to butt against? The photo doesnt show this so this is why I ask. The saddle should be matched to one side of the pumpkin or the other and is not interchangeable to both sides. Also, like rod and main caps on engines, you cant just take them from one motor and put them on another as they are machined as a set.
I will take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the input. One side looks perfect. The crown wheel has numbers on it. Do they stand for anything ie date etc..