• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ford 2.8 engine build questions

mr.vman

Donation Time
TIme to build the; 2.8 V6 engine. Have the Mustang 2 engine and later, 2.8 Ranger engine. Plan is to use the Ranger block with Mustang 2 front cover and pulleys.
Questions; Pistons, Cast pistons are available from Summit, Jegs and? With the preferred compression height (reading posts) of; 1.535 inch. Prices are around $35.00 a piece with no rings (rings are another question). Team Blitz has 10:1 compression ratio pistons for; $60.00 a piece, I assume no rings. What are V6 builders using for pistons and rings? What about the 10:1 pistons, worth it? Rings, chrome, cast iron or? information on what to use?
Might be using the middle listed, "Comp Cams" for truck block (bigger journals?). Appears to functioning well?
Assume the Mustang 2 front cover and pulleys will bolt to Ranger block?
Pistons and rings clarification is holding me up, at this point, not sure which way to go.
Any differences is the various metal timing gears available? Prices are from; $65 to $140, Sealed Power, Cloyes and? This will be a good start, the piston situation is the problem at this point. Looking forward to recommendations.
Thanks in advance, Steve V.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'll be following along as I'm getting close to building the engine for my V6 conversion project.

Dan R and I have been having conversations around the pulleys...for whatever reason the pulley diameters seem to vary from vehicle to vehicle (Mustang II to Ranger to Pinto, etc) even though the engines are basically the same... so it seems that for best results one should use both the water pump pulley and crank damper/pulley from the same engine rather than mix or match. It appears that any combination will actually work but the clearance between the pulleys will vary and in some cases they will almost touch.

Also curious what you might be using for ignition system and intake/carb.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, Your choice of engine block (Late 2.8 vs earlier) is a fine choice. I utilize both and have found no problems with either.
Use of the Mutt II front (timing) cover is a necessary choice in an Alpine because of the need for clearance length wise (space between the radiator and fan and the crossmemebr).
Your vehicle, being different may take either, if so, Utilize the Ranger Timing cover the later series 2.8 (Ranger/Bronco II) is said to have a better water pump. It has a larger snout that requires more spacing between the rad & fan than the Mutt II.
NOTE: The water pumps are not interchanagble.

I am running a CompCam in my Blue Boy 1978
V6
engine. The cam is a rather hot street, not a racing cam, and performs well IMO. I can drive it around town, out on the roads or between red lights:) and enjoy it all.

Check out some of the POST Jim Nickols (260alpine) has done on the Cam Spec here.
RedLine is a vendor I have bought from.

Note: Edited to included the "bold" words.

Last edited:

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill.

Not sure if you have a favorite machinist, but Meridian Auto (across from Meridian Speedway) did mine. They have some experience working "non-stock" engines. I gave them the pile of parts and told them what I wanted. I"m happy with what they did.

I used Duraspark/Holley.

Although, its been in the car (and back out 3 times)...it's been run a couple of times, but has no miles yet.