• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts sources

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I sold my 65 Mustang and now need to start buying seals, glass, and small parts for my Sunbeam SV. Who is the best rubber seals source? I need a windshield and rubber seal, Hardtop-to-body seal, side vent windows, basically all rubber seals, and seat foam before doing upholstery. What is the standard wheel off-set for stock SV steel wheels? I'll move up to 15" most likely and need to know safe rim width, tire height and wheel off-set. Who has the best door seals, trunk and hood seals? Okay, I KNOW it is bonnet and boot, but I'm an old hot rodder. Is one seat foam brand better? Should I avoid any company/brand? Any "tricks" to avoiding cowl vent water in the floor? The Mustang had a few problems there that I had to remedy. ALL help appreciated.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
My opinion is Sunbeam Specialties. They have not let me down yet, and I ordered (all) of what you're looking for from them, down to the seat diaphragms.
One of the guys has posted the cowl vent "fix" here, someone will post it. And the hoses down from the vent through the floor will take care of the natural water flow. Oh, make sure that the seat backs have their cardboard/hardboard backing on the backside before the upholstery. Don't want to see the frame at all.
Again, just my opinion.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I sold my 65 Mustang and now need to start buying seals, glass, and small parts for my Sunbeam SV. Who is the best rubber seals source? I need a windshield and rubber seal, Hardtop-to-body seal, side vent windows, basically all rubber seals, and seat foam before doing upholstery. What is the standard wheel off-set for stock SV steel wheels? I'll move up to 15" most likely and need to know safe rim width, tire height and wheel off-set. Who has the best door seals, trunk and hood seals? Okay, I KNOW it is bonnet and boot, but I'm an old hot rodder. Is one seat foam brand better? Should I avoid any company/brand? Any "tricks" to avoiding cowl vent water in the floor? The Mustang had a few problems there that I had to remedy. ALL help appreciated.
I agree with Jimjordan2.
Sunbeam Specialties would be my thought for the number one source of parts and knowledge to assist you when you need parts. As you move forward to other parts of your project, if there happens to be something that they do not have, I've had good luck with https://www.sunbeamalpinetigerspares.co.uk/, of course shipping is going to be more expensive and take much longer than Sunbeam Specialties.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
For the rubbers seals for the windshield and the rest of the body either Sunbeam Specialties or
Classic Sunbeam are the best places to get them. As far as windshields go, Victoria British is
the place to get those. As a matter of fact, that's the only thing I'd recommend getting as they are very
reasonable ( although there is an oversize charge for the box), ship quickly and have the packing
down so no breakage. I've put at least four of these in and they are a perfect fit. This is for the Series
3-V only though.

Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have made likewise purchases from VB on the windshields.... perfect fit and I believe a "BEST BUY" :)

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Also agree on the windshield. Other thing is the original style air cleaners for the series V Carbs. I think a "BEST BUY" also. $9.95 each.
Windshield KIT glass,Glass seal, and Bottom seal. $145. Of course plus shipping.

I think this goes along with the original thread, but I've always wondered on their sheet metal parts. Never needed them, but actually not a bad assortment. Even door skins? Anyone ever use them?

Charles Johns

Donation Time
My opinion is Sunbeam Specialties. They have not let me down yet, and I ordered (all) of what you're looking for from them, down to the seat diaphragms.
One of the guys has posted the cowl vent "fix" here, someone will post it. And the hoses down from the vent through the floor will take care of the natural water flow. Oh, make sure that the seat backs have their cardboard/hardboard backing on the backside before the upholstery. Don't want to see the frame at all.
Again, just my opinion.
Again, just my opinion.
Thanks Jim, are all the foam seat replacements the same quality? My Mustang had the best foam I could find and it made a huge difference over the cheap stuff. I can have the upholstery guy add foam on the sides to hold my butt in place, but bad quality foam is a waste.
I've bought the bottom seals,not near correct, Rick for seals peorid.
Joel, Rick for seals...Rick is what company? THANKS to all.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Pick up the check for the 65 Mustang at 4:30 today...LET THE PARTS PURCHASING BEGIN! Any preference for gauges in the Sunbeam? My old eyes seem to prefer white background. Not sure about a wood dash or an aluminum engine turned cover over the stock one. Either way I can make my own glove box and door. Center hump is bigger and shifter in wrong place, but solving problems is what car building is all about. Windshield, rubber seals, shocks, bushings, seat foam, cleaning parts, rebuilding mechanisms, lowering motor and trans, hammering out dents, etc., etc.,...I better get busy.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Charles all of the parts you mentioned are available through Sunbeam Specialties. It is all good stuff. All of what you said you need I have bought from them.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I placed orders with Sunbeam Specialties, Classic Sunbeam and Victoria British all today. I needed one side window, a bunch of weather strip, some trim parts and a few other odds and ends.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks guys, tomorrow I start placing parts orders. I have a shop, the experience at building, the tools required, a sympathetic wife, 2 cars to build one, the time to build...if I live another year or two, and now the $$$ to buy the parts needed. NO EXCUSES, and a bunch of builders who have already been-there-done-that, so let the building begin.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's my solution for the cowl vent issue. Nearly every component in my original system was rusty crap, except the deteriorated rubber components. I removed the old heater /heat core/valve system and am using a vintage air system that does not pull air from the vents anyway. The heater valves went in the hole where the core used to live. Helped to clean up a cluttered engine bay. It also helped in my efforts to clean up/smooth out the rest of the body as well. You can see I also closed the holes for the washer nozzles and will install much smaller/lower key nozzles to replace. This solution isn't for everyone, but that's okay.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 53

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Weaselkeeper! Glad to hear you are still working!

Removal of the old heater core, blower and the rest of the system being replace with the Vintage or Old Air is a smart move.

Hope all is well,

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Weaselkeeper, THANKS for the info. I planned to remove the original heater stuff because I have a small Hot Rod heater-defroster and need the space if I install Air Conditioning...which the wife demands...so I probably will. I think I asked a long time ago but were you part of the Wild Weasel program in Vietnam? As an old Navy carrier guy we thought you guys were crazy to make yourself targets ON PURPOSE! That little DART of an airplane with stubby wings was fast...but so are Ground to Air missiles. Just trying to figure if I should listen to your suggestions...a smiley face goes here.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim iirc the floor pans are not accurate stamping.. Just ribbed panel cut to the floor outline
Michael is correct on the VB floor pans. They are definitely not worth buying. I was given one for free and it wasn't even worth the price I paid.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
All well here Dan, thanks. Been working half days (if you call flying work), so its given me time to get current with the welder again and work on the pine body. I want to see it in paint by the end of the year and that's doable.

I troll your project now and then and you give me ideas and enthusiasm. Hope you and yours are well. Attached is a view from my office chair where I "work".

Attachments

• Heli Forward View.JPG
    Heli Forward View.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 42