• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Upper ball joint install

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_3352.JPG IMG_3353.JPG IMG_3355.JPG Getting ready to install new ball joints in the upper arm. I have a set of ball joints that do not have the notch to align with the arm notch. Just the slot as is shown. Does anyone have experience with that. It may not make a difference with these because it looks like it doesn't have an oval like original ball joint has. -Al

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
If they have a round hole ( picture 3 ) that the boot covers then it doesn't matter which way it is installed. the ones with an oblong hole need to be lined up with a slot on the side.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, that clears that up. The slit in top had me wondering but since it's not slotted it wouldn't matter. Would be nice if it had a zirk fitting also
but non-do.

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you haven't already you may want to consider getting the ring on the underside of the arm welded to the arm. Originally they only had 2 or 3 spot welds so if the ball joint installer didn't support it correctly it could pull loose.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike- Had the upper arms powder coated already. Supported the bottom ring and have a machined spacer to press it square, didn't want to press it crooked. Plus aligning the knurled ball joint to the knurled ring helps the strength.

mikephillips

Donation Time
They original welds are hard to find it seems. I've noticed them when I cleaned the metal of old paint and dirt and rust. Usually on the top of the arm you find 2, maybe 3, discolored spots and no real melting of the metal. I always assumed they were hit with just a couple or so quick hits of a spot welding machine. Anyhow, I have seen where now at 50 some years old they've partially or completely come loose.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, Did a lot of welding on the cradle to reinforce the problem areas there. Put new lower shafts from Doug to address that issue. Noticed the spin weld on the lower arms. Have they ever had an issue with breaking?

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks, Did a lot of welding on the cradle to reinforce the problem areas there. Put new lower shafts from Doug to address that issue. Noticed the spin weld on the lower arms. Have they ever had an issue with breaking?
Al,
Call Doug and ask how he does it. If he doesn't answer leave a message and he'll call back.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
It looked like by design, the snap ring is the main retainer of keeping it from popping out the top. You lose that and you got a major fail. I looked at the Mk2 (which he rebuilt)to see how he did that and it has two tack welds on the inside.