• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Valve Adjustment

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
On a side note, where do I find a .012" and .014" wire gauge? I understand the recommendation and the value of such a tool, but I can't find any wire gauge that's smaller than .020]

I bought my .012 and .014 pin gages at MSC Industrial Direct (in 2015) - mscdirect.com

upload_2020-4-23_10-21-45.png

Mike

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks, Mike.

I used your suggestions and the Workshop manual, with one modification: I used a 34mm socket in place of the 1 5/16. Not perfect, but good enough.

The valves are much quieter now, but I still have one that is making more noise than I would like. I used a hose stethoscope to locate it at the front of the engine, either cylinder 1 or 2. I rechecked the adjustment on these valves and no improvement.

John
My noisy valve on #1 was the pushrod for the very first valve hitting the head. I relieved the opening with a dremmel. The noise went away.

owenrobertson

Donation Time
I bought my .012 and .014 pin gages at MSC Industrial Direct (in 2015) - mscdirect.com

View attachment 19495

Mike

Mike, that's awesome, thanks! When I googled "wire feeler gauge", I got nothing smaller than .020". After reading your post, I googled ".012 pin gage", and that took me right to MSC, just like you said.

Here's the .012"

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...MI_dL-rP_-6AIVjJ-zCh3ZFABmEAQYASABEgLcLvD_BwE

And here's the .014"

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...MIgeD75ID_6AIVDFYMCh3rCw7lEAQYASABEgIfFPD_BwE

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Don't forget that there are over 50m videos on The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube that cover all manner of routine Alpine jobs like this. Tim R

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
When you use a pin gauge to check a hole diameter, you can't put a .012" pin in a .012" hole for example. You use a minus tolerance pin so it will actually fit. As far as setting valve clearance, the difference is really small and will probably not make a difference.

65beam

Donation Time
When you use a pin gauge to check a hole diameter, you can't put a .012" pin in a .012" hole for example. You use a minus tolerance pin so it will actually fit. As far as setting valve clearance, the difference is really small and will probably not make a difference.
The use of an item like this versus a flat blade was a suggestion from Tiger Tom many years (decades ) ago and I took his advice since he's been a long time guru of the Sunbeam world. I agree that the difference would be very little. Adjustment doesn't last forever unless the cars set.

owenrobertson

Donation Time

Well crap, I didn't even notice that. I provided links to the minus pins above, but above that, Mike suggested the plus pins. I suppose the plus pins would be the safer option. I haven't ordered the pins yet, I want to see how long my .010" and .012" flat feeler gauge lash adjustment holds out.

Here's the link to the .012" plus pin gage:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78381985

And here's the .014" plus pin gage:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78382009

owenrobertson

Donation Time

Oh yeah, you're right about the difference being very small. I just noticed those links just above show a tolerance of 0.0002". Two ten thousanths of an inch isn't a whole lot, especially when you consider how we'll be using this tool. Either the minus pin, or the plus pin should work just fine.