• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Tiger Top For Sale

BruceV

Donation Time
This top was in the process of being restored when my son-in-law (the restorer) died. See disclaimer below. As far as I can tell it is complete except of the small chrome piece that joins the read window trim on the bottom (see pictures). The top one is present. I assume it is a tiger top since the read quarter windows open. The rubber on the top appears to be new. It is flexible and not cracker. There is no rust on the top. There is rust on the catches that attach to the windshield. The quarter windows are crazed. The headliner has been reupholstered. The top is in Cincinnati, Ohio. The asking price is $3000.

Disclaimer:

My son-in-law rebuilt Sunbeam Tigers and turned Alpines into to Tigers. He died unexpectedly. I have a large quantity of left over parts from doors, hoods and windows to motor mounts. I know very little about these parts. I have tried to be as accurate as possible but please look at the pictures. This forum will only allow 10 pictures. If I have missed an area you are interested in please ask and I will take more and forward by email. If I have made an error in the description let me know and I will fix it.

Attachments

• 20200422_131745.jpg
    20200422_131745.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200422_131816_HDR.jpg
    20200422_131816_HDR.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200422_131832_HDR.jpg
    20200422_131832_HDR.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20200422_131842.jpg
    20200422_131842.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200422_131856.jpg
    20200422_131856.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200422_131902.jpg
    20200422_131902.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20200422_131923_HDR.jpg
    20200422_131923_HDR.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20200422_132306.jpg
    20200422_132306.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200422_132315.jpg
    20200422_132315.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200422_132529_HDR.jpg
    20200422_132529_HDR.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 89

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bruce, Your Hard Top (is considered a late Series) will fit Series III -V Alpines and Tigers.

If the top is rust free your asking price is not unreasonable even with the hardware pieces less than perfect.

You could take some four ought (0000) steel wool and rub the chrome a bit to see if it cleans up. I keep my chrome work clean and shiny using the very fine 0000 steel wool.

If you need help posting pictures send me them in an E-mail: tiger2dan at gmail dot com

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just a tip... instead of using steel wool, I advise using bronze wool. Steel wool has two serious problems... the bits that fall off get caught into cracks and crevices and will eventually rust (and, worse yet, spawn rusting on nearby surfaces), and the steel will scratch chrome permanently. Bronze is safe since it is softer than chrome (but still cleans corrosion nicely) and it does not rust. I basically never use steel wool on anything anymore. You can get it online or in better hardware stores, and it comes in the usual grades.

For really stubborn corrosion or staining, put a bit of 3M polishing compound on the bronze wool and give it a rub. I guarantee you’ll be pleased with the results and your chrome will remain unscratched and bright.

65beam

Donation Time
This top was in the process of being restored when my son-in-law (the restorer) died. See disclaimer below. As far as I can tell it is complete except of the small chrome piece that joins the read window trim on the bottom (see pictures). The top one is present. I assume it is a tiger top since the read quarter windows open. The rubber on the top appears to be new. It is flexible and not cracker. There is no rust on the top. There is rust on the catches that attach to the windshield. The quarter windows are crazed. The headliner has been reupholstered. The top is in Cincinnati, Ohio. The asking price is $3000.

Disclaimer:

My son-in-law rebuilt Sunbeam Tigers and turned Alpines into to Tigers. He died unexpectedly. I have a large quantity of left over parts from doors, hoods and windows to motor mounts. I know very little about these parts. I have tried to be as accurate as possible but please look at the pictures. This forum will only allow 10 pictures. If I have missed an area you are interested in please ask and I will take more and forward by email. If I have made an error in the description let me know and I will fix it.
Bruce,
Several of us live in the Cincinnati southern Ohio area. What was your son-in-laws name?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Just a tip... instead of using steel wool, I advise using bronze wool. Steel wool has two serious problems... the bits that fall off get caught into cracks and crevices and will eventually rust (and, worse yet, spawn rusting on nearby surfaces), and the steel will scratch chrome permanently. Bronze is safe since it is softer than chrome (but still cleans corrosion nicely) and it does not rust. I basically never use steel wool on anything anymore. You can get it online or in better hardware stores, and it comes in the usual grades.

For really stubborn corrosion or staining, put a bit of 3M polishing compound on the bronze wool and give it a rub. I guarantee you’ll be pleased with the results and your chrome will remain unscratched and bright.
Good tip on the bronze wool, a little Grey Scotch Brite and simichrome will also do nicely.

BruceV

Donation Time
I understand the bronze wool. I have used it on other projects. The catches that hold the top to the windshield are the problem. The other chrome/stainless bits are in good shape. The metal (black) part of the top is rust free. I believe the top was in the process of restoration when he died. The metal looks great. The headliner is new. My son-in-law was Joe Warner
I have another set of windshield catches on a soft top bar but they also have the same rust issues. The bar and a soft top frame will come up on ebay soon.

65beam

Donation Time
Bruce,
I wondered since we lost Steve Mitchell in Dayton about a month ago. He did a lot of paint and body restoration work part time working out of Tiger Auto.

BruceV

Donation Time
I had originally asked $3000. I accepted an offer for $2000 plus buyer payed shipping. This offer fell through. I am still looking for the same terms. The shipping cost to California is $285 to crate and approximately $300 for transportation. Exact transportation amount determined once the top is crated and the transportation company can weigh it.

T.Jack

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry for you and your families loss. It's never easy to loose someone unexpectedly.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had mine hanging like that too great till you forget and bang your head on it... 2500 to 2750 is a good price in the land of guys the need hard tops UK the Pac. No. West. and places that have real weather. Shame to have to pay so much on shipping. When i tried to sell a super clean zero rust shell for 1500 I got push back of opinions on its cost. As guy pay 95 dollars an hour on metal work several hundred for a paint job and then the pricing for the rubber at S.S. the the PiTa it is to install just the rubber then ending up with plastic windows that are easily scratched and then the sheer weight of the top foot printing the paint. All that said guys still want them and a rusty core still sells for 500 to 750 . Hold out someone will come along . If I had a real nice one I wanted to sell without the car I'd put it on BaT 47 8X10 glossy pics including the condition of the chrome bits as those are the really big money bits to have plated.

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had originally asked $3000. I accepted an offer for $2000 plus buyer payed shipping. This offer fell through. I am still looking for the same terms. The shipping cost to California is $285 to crate and approximately $300 for transportation. Exact transportation amount determined once the top is crated and the transportation company can weigh it.

Please check your PM.

remaxman

Donation Time
BruceV I live 20 mins from Cincinnati and would be interested in discussing other parts that would might have for sale. What is the best way to contact you?