• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wood dash.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Recently came across a wood dash, and as I was working on the finish, I was just curious as to how crude this one is made. Is this normal, or is it a hand made one by someone?

Attachments

• Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1214.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 93

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yep, looks like the original one out of my Tiger. I kept it as a pattern, but the plywood has delaminated and a prior owner had drilled a couple extra holes. But the style of the routing for the gauges and switch recesses looks the same.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Thanks guys. I was able to fill in a lot of those fine cracks by just sanding and clear coating, over and over. Patina ya know? Old and wrinkled like the rest of us.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would like a better view of the wood in the area of the holes?

The original wood dash has about 9 layers as I recall.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
The edges are all painted like the back, it appears that there are maybe 7 layers? Just a guess on that. Original or not? Either way, looks pretty.
Is there any big things to watch out for when changing from the plastic dash? Does the knee pad fit the same way? And I'm understanding there's more than one glove compartment box? Does the box attach to the dash differently?

Mark B

Donation Time
I recall the heater controls had to be mounted differently or I had to use some spacers to get them to sit correctly. It was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
The edges are all painted like the back, it appears that there are maybe 7 layers? Just a guess on that. Original or not? Either way, looks pretty.
Is there any big things to watch out for when changing from the plastic dash? Does the knee pad fit the same way? And I'm understanding there's more than one glove compartment box? Does the box attach to the dash differently?
Contact dan Richardson Dan R has made Dash Mount Brackets for heater controls..

mikephillips

Donation Time
Because the plastic dash has the heater control attachment molded with it, the wood dash has three metal brackets that go over the studs for the faceplate. It also requires some routing along the lower edge of the slots for the levers to clear the center of those assemblies. I'll dig out the old dash and get a couple reverse side images to show all the routings

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a couple pictures that show the required "tabs" for a wooden or other custom dash. $30.00 includes shipping in lower 48.

Attachments

• Blue Boy getting a new handmade walnut dash with new dash tabs    by DanR      4063.JPG
    Blue Boy getting a new handmade walnut dash with new dash tabs by DanR 4063.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Alpine Dash Tabs for a wood or metal aftermarket 20180415_111836.jpg
    Alpine Dash Tabs for a wood or metal aftermarket 20180415_111836.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 43

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
When I received this wood dash, the windshield washer pump was broken. Since these really don't work that well, went searching for an alternative that would look "original" from the dash. Was able to find just a simple push/pull headlight switch that accepted the bezel and knob from the original. Then will install the electric pump under the dash in a discreet place. (Not that I need a windshield washer here in So. Cal.) But it looks good, and will work.

Thanks for the info Dan, I have a little something else in mind, but if it doesn't work will contact you.

Attachments

• Wiper pump 1.jpg
    Wiper pump 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Wiper pump 4.jpg
    Wiper pump 4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Wiper pump 5.jpg
    Wiper pump 5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 31

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a couple pictures that show the required "tabs" for a wooden or other custom dash. $30.00 includes shipping in lower 48.

I can attest to Dans tabs for the wood dashes. I've used them on a couple of occasions
and will be getting another set for a dash that I'm working on now.

Makes the install of the heater controls easy!

Cheers!
Steve