• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Boot or Trunk panels

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I need a set of the stock panels that cover the gas tanks. I have stuff to trade.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure if you are aware that these are available new from Sunbeam Specialties for $56.00 a set. You can get them in plastic or in the original fiber board. Most original used ones I've seen are pretty ratty.

Rick

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm not interested in SS plastic ones . Have you actually seen the non plastic ones?

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
No, but heard they were available and checked their catalog and saw them listed. Perhaps someone else here has gotten them and can chime in. I'd be interested in knowing as well
Rick

65beam

Donation Time
The first run of the fiber panels was pretty much dead on as far as matching the texture of the originals but I understand the material now in stock has a minor deviation to the finish. You would probably need to have both side by side to tell the difference. I have a set of the first run and I don't leave them in the series 5 unless it's being shown. I leave the plastic panels in the car other wise so items in the trunk don't damage the fiber panels.

65beam

Donation Time
The first run of the fiber panels was pretty much dead on as far as matching the texture of the originals but I understand the material now in stock has a minor deviation to the finish. You would probably need to have both side by side to tell the difference. I have a set of the first run and I don't leave them in the series 5 unless it's being shown. I leave the plastic panels in the car other wise so items in the trunk don't damage the fiber panels.
USPS dropped off the set of trunk panels I ordered from SS last Friday. The finish isn't that different.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob thanks for your review but this is for a driver car with 95,000 . All it's new parts are the consumables or things that make it go and stop. The car has the original soft top that got cut in a break in in 1969. Testament to a never lock a convertible in the hood...
This cars hood was cut in the USC hood. The car got a hard top after that and lucky thing the qtr windows didn't get smashed. I bet there were plenty of VWs that you could open with a popsicle stick to pick from that kept the scofflaws busy .

65beam

Donation Time
Bob thanks for your review but this is for a driver car with 95,000 . All it's new parts are the consumables or things that make it go and stop. The car has the original soft top that got cut in a break in in 1969. Testament to a never lock a convertible in the hood...
This cars hood was cut in the USC hood. The car got a hard top after that and lucky thing the qtr windows didn't get smashed. I bet there were plenty of VWs that you could open with a popsicle stick to pick from that kept the scofflaws busy .
I'm sorry Warren but the wife told me to trash all the old panels and rubber mats that were stacked in the one parts building. No one wanted to even pay shipping if I gave them away. She took six weeks off from work so we're doing spring cleaning and the garages are included.

mikephillips

Donation Time
One thing you can do if you have the plastic panels to make them look more original is spray them with a clear flat you can get from the hardware store paint rack, or a hobby shop paint section. Then run a bit of tan paint around the edges to give that covered board look of the originals. Stand back a couple feet and the difference isn't as noticeable.

65beam

Donation Time
One thing you can do if you have the plastic panels to make them look more original is spray them with a clear flat you can get from the hardware store paint rack, or a hobby shop paint section. Then run a bit of tan paint around the edges to give that covered board look of the originals. Stand back a couple feet and the difference isn't as noticeable.
Mike,
The new cardboard panels are made of a material that does not have a different color on the edges. Rick makes them using a board that has a dark grey color thru out so they have a black finish where the openings are cut.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'm just saying for those who may have gotten the plastic ones at some point an extra 5-10 bucks can make them look closer to original of you don't want to buy another set. OEM type is a better choice of you don't have any or prefer to replace plastic.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Mike, likely that I can replace them . There is a substitute that they sell that looks like a wax coated heavy compressed paper product made waterproof and used in making door panels. It is a dark grey material and if you had the pleather outside coating could be as nice as S.S. sells. It is pretty important to have something covering the tanks. I do not care for the Pinto like set up but alas its a stock car and must stay as close as possible.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
My local upholstery shop supply that's been in business since the early '80s shuttered the doors. anything with the name Jaguar in front of it is twice as expensive as something with Mk2 in front of it, if it can be found in the first place.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael: FWIW, I haven't seen the stock-looking mill board at a store here in more than 30 years. I remember seeing 4x4 sheets of it in a hardware store around the time I bought my Alpine in 1978 and thinking "I should buy some of that to make new trunk panels". Had I known then that it would become scarce...