• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

LED running and signal lights

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Hello all

I have changed all my running/signal/brake lights to LED. I have installed a EFL-3 flasher.
Here's my problem. When the running lights are off, the signal lights work fine. When the running lights are on, the signal lights will neither light up nor flash. They are just dead. I have renewed the grounds on the front lights. The running lights are nice and bright and when the signal lights are flashing, they are very bright as well.
Any ideas?

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
LED lights are polarity sensitive. I would remove all the LED lights you installed, turn on the lights and test the sockets one at a time with a test light or meter to determine 12 Volt + and ground. Then install one light at a time. You will find the problem by going step by step with known good wiring. Good luck

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since the lights work individually, I expect the polarity is correct. Where did you get the LED bulbs? I am wondering if you are missing diodes on the signal bulbs. Apparently some LED bulbs have diodes built in and some don't. I have a full LED bulb kit from Joe Parlanti and did not need to add any diodes.

Mike

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
I think that I figured it out. I will need to put diodes in the front signal light wires. When I put the incandescent bulbs back in the front, everything worked fine. With the LED bulbs in the front, the rear signal lights illuminate when the running lights are turned on.

Mark B

Donation Time
FYI-

I am on another car forum and there was a similar post and the polarity and current flow discussion came up with regard to LEDs. This was posted recently and we all immediately asked for additional clarity, as it seemed like a really simple solution.

"I used LEDs with constant non polarity to solve the problems.
icon_wink.gif
"

I for one, did not know these were a thing, and I will let you know how it plays out and if I see anything else of value on that forum.

Thanks,

MB

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Light Emitting Diodes (LED's) are inherently polarity sensitive; however, a LED bulb assembly can have multiple LED's wired in opposite polarity (only one polarity will operate depending on the wiring polarity) or can have a bridge rectifier component that allows the bulb assembly to work with either positive or negative polarity.