• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 Sunbeam Alpine At Auction

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice to see the Alpine finally getting the love it deserves!
This one does look really good as it hasn't been restored, just driven!
Wish I had the room for it!
Cheers!
Steve

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
The realization of just how old our Sunbeams are is underscored when there is mention in the write-up for this car that there was front end work in 1990. That was 30 years ago. I suppose if it were stored for decades (3 for example), that front end is fresh. Ha. To be fair, this seems like a decent survivor and I think it is nice when there are lots of service records to see what has been done and the buyer can get a good history of the car.

Rick

65beam

Donation Time
What really brings you back to reality is to open the garage door and you see a car you were driving when you were still in your teens back in the 60's. It appears that interior in this car may have been black and the red interior pieces are not original to the color scheme based on the work that has been done to the console lid. The body appears to be pretty much original.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Bob,

Probably says more about how old you are than your car. Ha ha... kidding. My inspiration for finally getting my first Alpine in 2011 was a car I saw in a yard near where I grew up in the mid 1960s. I was just a kid, 10 years away from getting a driver's license, but that car stuck in my mind my whole life. The yard and house have long been gone due to development. The car gone even longer... disappeared in the late 1960s. In January, I hunted down a surviving family member... daughter of owner.. through social media and got confirmation of what I had remembered about the car... a light blue series II. As luck would have it, I picked up a project series III a couple years ago. Color: Wedgewood blue.

Rick

65beam

Donation Time
I did take an Alpine for a drive prior to having a driver license. Having an uncle that was chief of police made it easier. I'm really proud to be a baby boomer that has survived to be 70. Many didn't. If Dad hadn't bought the green car life may have been different.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I say I have been doing this restoration stuff for over 50 years "long in the tooth" doesn't begin to describe the aches and pains I have working on my cars now.
If one looks at the photos one can see that the foot wells both have red cards in place. In addition, behind the passenger seat there is the tell-tale sign of original red upholstery covering the rear wheel well interior bulge along with the console showing serious red patina like the piece used behind the seats (original). This strongly suggests it was originally red and that an easier and maybe cheaper black seat upholstery and carpet kits were installed.

65beam

Donation Time
When I say I have been doing this restoration stuff for over 50 years "long in the tooth" doesn't begin to describe the aches and pains I have working on my cars now.
If one looks at the photos one can see that the foot wells both have red cards in place. In addition, behind the passenger seat there is the tell-tale sign of original red upholstery covering the rear wheel well interior bulge along with the console showing serious red patina like the piece used behind the seats (original). This strongly suggests it was originally red and that an easier and maybe cheaper black seat upholstery and carpet kits were installed.
The trans tunnel does look to be a sewn piece, Check out the poor quality of the console repair. The entire interior needs replaced. The car is a good starter project.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Update: No Sale at $5850 bid. However, owner stated, "the car is currently listed for sale at sunbeamclub.com, it has my photos and contact information, but in any case call 5037796061." Mark is looking to get $8750 https://www.sunbeamclub.com/registry/forsale.php

In the notes the upholstery configuration that I suspected was confirmed - "New seat upholstery, cushions, and diaphragms were installed along with replacement carpets in 1998" the black upholstery. Red was the original interior color.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Listed as some perforation on BaT yet the Sunbeam exp says contrary. I am guessing several 1000 to ship to the UK seems a little steep at 8750

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Right, owner lists it as rust free on sunbeamclub.com. and yet the owner speaks to the rust perforations (with photos) on BAT.