• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Aluminum Flywheel?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I don't want to diminish or in anyway interfere with your efforts to assist all of us with acquiring a light weight flywheel. I merely want to share what I have found. I have been in communication with a UK company producing Alpine lite steel flywheels and this is what I have found.

Cost - (299BP) = $370 USD including shipping
Weight - 4.35 kg = 8.59lbs
Clutch - 215mm = 8.46 inches
Sunbeam-Alpine-19101725-4kg1.jpg

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ever consider just having the stock one lightened?
I liked the article Jan wrote in the Marque magazine and the illustration of the stock flywheel to Le Mans flywheel. I have the original Harrington Le Mans lightened flywheel in my Promotional HLM. However, the weight reduction only goes from 23.5 lbs (stock) to 19 lbs (lightened).

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
The same company also makes a flywheel for the 1725 engine with 7.2 inch clutch. It weighs in at 3kg = 6.6lbs.

Sunbeam-alpine-1700-184-4128-3kg_resized.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
I liked the article Jan wrote in the Marque magazine and the illustration of the stock flywheel to Le Mans flywheel. I have the original Harrington Le Mans lightened flywheel in my Promotional HLM. However, the weight reduction only goes from 23.5 lbs (stock) to 19 lbs (lightened).
Two of my Harringtons ( 9112251 & 9112185 ) still have the original lightened flywheels. Thanks for the info on the weight of yours. I haven't ever taken the time to check the weight of them. That brings up another question. Were the originals all the same weight or did it vary from engine to engine?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
My SII weighed like 28lbs.
Thats a nice looking flywheel, but whats the friction disk going to run on, surely not the aluminum?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
My SII weighed like 28lbs.
Thats a nice looking flywheel, but whats the friction disk going to run on, surely not the aluminum?
I have several 1592 and 1725 flywheels. I measured two randomly selected flywheels on two different scales. The 1592 and 1725 flywheels each were between 23 and 24 lbs closely matching Jan Servatis measurements for a 1592 back in the Fall of 2003.

My bad, the company makes these out of steel. I changed the information previously posted. I will say, amazing engineering and manufacturing technique to reduce the flywheel several pounds.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
From 1592 to 1592?[/QUOTEJerry,
Jerry,
The LeMans , unlike the A,C or D Harrington conversions were a standardized conversion built for Rootes for sale thru dealers and not available for order by anyone but Rootes. The stage 2 1592cc engine with a few other additional changes such as other head work, carbs, and different clutch to name a few was a standard part of the conversion as ordered by Rootes. My question is how close in weight were the flywheels of the 250 cars since the engines of all cars were intended to be built to the same specs? Just curious.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well, I guess when it rains, it pours? All of a sudden there IS a LW FW available.

When I dropped off the iron FW to copy, the guy asked me how light I wanted the Al FW.

I told him as light as practical, I didn't want to sacrifice strength for extra light weight.

And, as mentioned I like the SV clutch stuff for the smaller size and less weight.

However, I JUST noticed in the SS catalog (2012), the SV PP is N.L.A. Hmmmm

BUT, the early 8" PP IS still available. Hmmmm.

I guess I NEED to get to the bottom of WHAT is available and what is NOT.

I have always used SV clutch stuff because I have so much good used stuff.

I don't think I have bought any NEW clutch stuff out side of TO bearings.

I guess I still need to do some more homework...

DW

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I didn't realize replacement clutch parts were in such short supply!

I need to check all my sources of parts to see what the pipeline of Alpine clutch parts is.

I need to check what other more common clutch parts could be used on the Alpine.

Maybe the New FW needs multi PP bolt patterns.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, I guess when it rains, it pours? All of a sudden there IS a LW FW available.

When I dropped off the iron FW to copy, the guy asked me how light I wanted the Al FW.

I told him as light as practical, I didn't want to sacrifice strength for extra light weight.

And, as mentioned I like the SV clutch stuff for the smaller size and less weight.

However, I JUST noticed in the SS catalog (2012), the SV PP is N.L.A. Hmmmm

BUT, the early 8" PP IS still available. Hmmmm.

I guess I NEED to get to the bottom of WHAT is available and what is NOT.

I have always used SV clutch stuff because I have so much good used stuff.

I don't think I have bought any NEW clutch stuff out side of TO bearings.

I guess I still need to do some more homework...

DW
Dan, I wish I had gotten the info back sooner. Oh well, on we go. SS 7 1/4" PP is still NLA (2016 catalog). The 8" II and III (Call US) is listed. 8" Series I is still available for $195. I seem to remember having a PP rebuilt some years ago. I'll have to check into that. I have several used ones in my stock.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan, so what was the final weight of the prototype?

On the clutches the earlier larger ones have decent availability as the early 60s MGs used the same parts. The early alpine can also use mga pressure plates

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't know a weight yet. I'll quiz them about the details and check out what info they have on Alpine stuff tomorrow.

I really don't look forward to the prospect of using MGA clutch parts...

Steve Alcala has an early iron FW that has been cut to the bone but it's still quite heavy and the PP is huge.

Michael, what has been your history of Alpine clutch use/desires?

DW

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hey Dan,

Putting out some fires at work..

Ill email you at the start of next week on some flywheel PP and clutch stuff. ;-)

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I went ahead and ordered the significantly lightened (4kg) 1592 flywheel (3 assembly pins) from TTV Industrials in UK (http://ttvracing.com/product/sunbea...ls&engine=sunbeam-alpine&manufacturer=sunbeam) We shall see how long it takes to get the FW to my location from the UK under the duress of the global state of affairs. Check out their PP and clutch assemblies (http://ttvracing.com/clutches/). My concern is they probably don't have Sunbeam matching 10 spline clutch plates.

In my research I found Jan Servatis' very dutiful summation on original clutch assemblies shown below:

Here is the truth on Alpine flywheels/clutches/splines/assembly pins/clutch release arms/slaves:
Series I - Flywheel (8", 2 assembly pins), Clutch (8", 6 coil springs),
Splines (course), clutch release arm (short pedestal, large carbon
bearing), short slave
Series II - Flywheel (8", 3 assembly pins), Clutch (8", 9 coil springs),
Splines (course), clutch release arm (short pedestal, large carbon
bearing), long slave
Series 3 - Flywheel (8", 3 assembly pins), Clutch (8", diaphram spring),
Splines (course), clutch release arm (tall pedestal, large carbon
bearing), long slave
Series IV (up to B94100001) - Flywheel (8", 3 assembly pins), Clutch
(8", diaphram spring), Splines (course), clutch release arm (tall
pedestal, large carbon bearing), long slave.
Series IV (Late) - Flywheel (7.5", 3 assembly pins), Clutch (7.5",
diaphram spring), Splines (course), clutch release arm (tall pedestal,
small carbon bearing), long slave
Series V (up to B395017308)) - Flywheel (7.5", 3 assembly pins), Clutch
(7.5", diaphram spring), Splines (course), clutch release arm (tall
pedestal, small carbon bearing), long slave
Series IV (Late) - Flywheel (7.5", 3 assembly pins), Clutch (7.5",
diaphram spring), Splines (fine), clutch release arm (tall pedestal,
small carbon bearing), long slave
Everyone check Rick's catalog (Sunbeam Specialties), he pretty much lays all this out in the
correct manner.

Michael send along your flywheel PP and clutch stuff info to me as well.