• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rainy day project

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Mike, did you buy the cumberland race poster on ebay?

Yes. There's a guy on EBay who seems to always have one for sale about once a month. I have no idea if it was a real poster, but I like it and it was inexpensive.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

Yeah that's why i asked, they started appearing in the listings maybe 2 years back at a very high price ( think our club pres posted about it originally)...then i noticed listimg kept repeating so assumed they were priting them

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
They don't look freshly printed. They look like they are an older item, with some evidence of bends, a little wear, dirt, etc. So they have some "patina". If they are new productions, they are doing a good job at making them look older.

I think I paid $15 + shipping.

Mike

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I also have one, but it's a Sag Harbor/Bridgehampton version. It's not a reprint as
it has race results written on the back and lots of patina. I think I paid something on par with
Mike for mine.

I also have the Auto Train poster.

Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I've got both the Sunbeam and the Sag Harbor posters and think they are old. My guess is that the guy bought/found a job lot of old race posters and that is what he had been selling. I do know that the ones he is listing now don't look to be in as good of shape as the one I bought when he first started selling them. New or old, they look nice in my garage and are well worth what he is charging.

FWIW: The Bridgehampton Race Circuit (which was located in Sag Harbor) was about 5 miles from where I live now. It is a high end (as in, $1M to join) golf club today. Needless to say, I've never been invited to play there.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
My best friends uncle was a part owner of the track back in the '60s. Had my first track experience
there and my first Porsche 911 experience there , at the same time!

It was the best place to live then. Haven't been back in almost 30 years. Sad what happened to
the area and the track.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It was the best place to live then. Haven't been back in almost 30 years. Sad what happened to
the area and the track.

I understand completely. I first came here in 1973 and in 1975 lived just about a mile from the track. Sadly, I never visited it, even though we could hear the races from our house. This is my second tour of full-time living here, the first was c1977, and the changes I have seen over the last 45 years are enormous. And those changes are nothing compared to what my wife, who essentially grew up here, has seen. But, while the area has certainly lost a lot of its rural charm, it is still one of my favorite places. There is a reason so many of the rich and famous come out on summer weekends and I get to stay on Mondays when they head back!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
here is a reason so many of the rich and famous come out on summer weekends and I get to stay on Mondays when they head back!
We left Noyac in 1972 . We lived in NJ the rest of the year and stayed at my grandmothers house ( on Noyac bay) every summer.
Some of my best memories there were after Labor Day and in the fall when the "tourists" had gone home. Felt like our
own private island!

By the way, my Grandmother sold the Noyac house in 1972 for $72,500 and thought she made a killing. That same house with only
one very small addition sold in 2010 for $1.5 million ( Grandma should have kept it!)

Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My father-in-law built a cottage on the ocean in Bridgehampton in 1952, and by "built" I mean with his own hands. That kind of thing was still possible back then. He couldn't afford the maintenance and sold it in 1960 for $25,000. It is the last true beach cottage in the immediate area (1 bed, 1 bath, 957 sq ft), which is now dominated by huge mansions. It is currently assessed at $10 million. I'm thinking he should have kept it, too.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I surprised that it still exists! Like I said, I haven't been out there in almost 30 years ( can't believe that!)
and I wonder if the old house still stands. I'm almost afraid to look.

My best friends father took down two houses next door , to be fair, he moved then not demolished, and
built a huge house. My friend had her wedding there in 1990. Our old house almost looked out of place
but was still intact then.

mikephillips

Donation Time
I'd also suggest in the seat bottoms welding some pieces across the corners to join the sides to the front/rear rails. I did that to mine to hopefully help resist twisting/racking since the frames are fastened to the car at the fronts and loose at the backs. My hope is that this will help resist recracking too as you get in and out of the car and the pushing/pulling the frame undergoes.