• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vacuum lines with Weber carb.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
With the induction kit fitted to the Webcon carb and manifold set up the car flies along. It is extremely smooth and powerful and most importantly it just stays in tune year after year.P1090095.jpegP1140768.jpeg

pruyter

Donation Time
The UK manifold is designed in a collaboration between both Webcon and SAOC and......agreed is that Jerome is selling this kits not Webcon.
I have fitted this kit both on my Rapier series IV (1592 cc engine) and my brothers Alpine series IV with a 1725 cc engine.
It is the best change I could have done to my Rapier. Installing the PCV Valve is not recommended because the hole in the manifold is placed wrongly something Jerome admitted to me by saying that it is a design fault. The wrong place for this PCV valve causes the engine to stall when one is for instance waiting for a traffic light. So I have deleted this valve and all is well now.

Regards,

Peter

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Peter, I have no intention on installing the PCV, but would it not be possible to install it where the bung in the plenum currently is?

pruyter

Donation Time
Hi Kevin,

That's an interesting option which you could try out, but....the thread of the valve is different from the thread of this grub screw so when it does not work you are left with a bigger hole to plug off. I can't see why it should not work, but I can't guarantee either that it will work.
But why should you proceed with a PCV valve? The only reason I can think of is the environment and obviously I am not that concerned with it when you realize that this hobby cars don't make much kilometres (or miles in the USA).
I myself have used this hole for connecting a vacuum gauge which gives me some idea about the efficiency of the engine.

Regards,

Peter

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for your thoughts, Peter. Yeah, I was thinking of making up an adapting L-shaped fitting which would also angle the valve properly for the hose to reach around the back of the motor, so the hole size would not need to change. But you’ve got me thinking that a T-shaped fitting may make mores sense so that a vacuum gauge may be connected.

The reason for a PCV is not as much for the environment as it is for the removal of caustic gasses from the sump, which are produced as the motor runs. Two by-products of burning gasoline are sulphuric acid and water, and these can build up inside a motor over time if not actively vented, causing damage. The PCV removes these by burning them off as a part of normal intake.

My main concern with adding it is that the carburetor may not be properly jetted for that extra air entry from the PCV and it may cause a lean condition over the full range of the throttle.

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
But why should you proceed with a PCV valve? The only reason I can think of is the environment and obviously I am not that concerned with it when you realize that this hobby cars don't make much kilometres (or miles in the USA).

Peter,

Kevin explained the functional reason for the PCV, what should also be included that when the motors went from just venting with a road tube to pcv the engine life increased too

pruyter

Donation Time
The hole in the manifold in which the grub screw in fitted is originally intended for connecting a vacuum gauge if someone wishes to do so and this place is the best place for connecting such a devise as you surely already know. And yes now you mention it there is a possibility that the oil fumes disturb the working of the carburettor when you use this hole for fitting a PCV valve.
I am aware of the fact that the PCV valve helps to remove the acid gasses from the engine, but I know also that before Rootes placed this valves their engines runned without any problem. The real reason to fit this system was because of regulations concerning the environment.
In my younger days I was once a car mechanic working at a local Rootes dealer and I never experienced any problems with engines which had no PCV valve fitted. I am not contracdicting what you have mentioned regarding the acid gasses it is just that I don't think that we will experience problems with the engines when such a device is not fitted at least not with the few kilometres/miles that this old cars are driven nowadays.
This all being said I dare say that fitting the so called Webcon conversion is one of the best things one can do regarding this engines.
I recommended fitting such a set to a Dutch friend with an Alpine series 2 and two British friends with both a Rapier series V. They all had a lot of problems with their existing carburettors and now with this kit their problems are vanished. My brother had also a lot of problems with the carburation of his Alpine series IV and now all is cured. And regarding myself? Well to be honest I had no problems at all, but I just wanted to have the best available on my Rapier series IV, so I ordered the kit and became the first of Rootes cars owners with this kit in the Netherlands. And now we are with three of them.

pruyter

Donation Time
Oh I just see that Michael posted a message too.
Well Michael I don't doubt what you are mentioning regarding the extension of the life time of the engine, but I don't think that I will live long enough to experience that the engine of my Rapier will see the end of its life when it is used so scarcely as it is.
But yeah I understand your reasoning, it is just that I accept this consequence.
Thanks for your reaction.