• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How Fast is a Sunbeam

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
We Kaliforniains are STILL limited to 55MPH when pulling a trailer!

And, of course, EVERYONE of us is a STRICT Law abiding Citizen.... yup.

DW

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael,
I'd win that hands down considering the speeds I run when pulling a trailer. There are a few here that can verify that.

Bob, this wasn't meant to be a competition. Just an exercise in story telling and speeds attained. For example, the original owner of my Harrington Le Mans, Greg Vederoff, only raced it throughout the West Coast for the HLM's first year. One time when Vederoff and his crew were traveling at 60 mph up to Westwood, British Columbia in 1962 they had a harrowing experience. Going down a hill at 65mph, while pulling #195 on a trailer, the whole world almost turned upside down. The trailer came loose and slammed into the rear end of their Valiant. Fortunately Vederoff was able to control everything and bring the entire train wreck to a halt. Making some adjustments they continued on to enjoy time at the race track.

upload_2020-1-27_8-24-15.png
That is Vederoff on the left.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Jerry,
That's a great photo to have . It shows the difference between then and now. It shows what was required at that time. Try to race that car set up in that manner in Vintage races now. Towing with a Plymouth Valiant would have been tough. Our third Harrington also displayed a similar set up before disassembly.
All I can tell you is that way back in early 1970 that I had a collection of cars that included a 1970 340 Duster , a 70 RS Camaro and a Chevelle SS 454. We also had the series 4. I got caught for 128 MPH while driving the Camaro. Dad traded these three cars at our next door neighbors Ford dealership. He left me with the series 4 Alpine and a new Ford LTD 2 door. My need for speed meant having PAECO Racing build an engine for the Green car. Dad didn't think it would be something that would keep me on high risk insurance. I can say I got it to exceed 100 MPH. That engine is now in one of my part buildings. He didn't say much later that year when I bought the Fiat 850 Spyder and the Opel GT and started building my collection again. At this point in life the only abuse to our Sunbeam collection is that we don't drive them much. For that reason we have more than one car trailer and the same goes for tow vehicles. I don't get concerned about how hard I travel when towing since both tow vehicles have full tow packages. This tow vehicle has in excess of 400 HP and it sets level while towing. I believe we were on our way home from Pittsburgh when this was taken. The 69 is in the trailer. A full tow package may be something Michael should think about if he is going to be towing a race car. Check out the two plates on the lower right hand side of the tail gate.107_0188.JPG

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
That is what I'm talking about , Bob. Great stories with speed. There is definitely a difference between then and now. You would be thrown in jail for 128mph now. Cool set up for towing a car in a trailer. I've been using my 2017 F350 with 450 hp and 900lbs of torque. It never seems like I'm climbing any mountains or that there is any trailer attached. Probably why I tend to get up above 90 mph on the open plains with no traffic. Don't worry about my mate, Michael, he always manages the details well ahead of the adventure and during the excursions. When he let me use his Series II to drive the Great Ocean Road, Michael was magnanimous. I won't share the speeds I was able to attain. I will say that going through the twists and turns provided wonderful thrills. I also felt compelled to provide the parts to rework the brakes and thank you Michael for the labor.

65beam

Donation Time
That is what I'm talking about , Bob. Great stories with speed. There is definitely a difference between then and now. You would be thrown in jail for 128mph now. Cool set up for towing a car in a trailer. I've been using my 2017 F350 with 450 hp and 900lbs of torque. It never seems like I'm climbing any mountains or that there is any trailer attached. Probably why I tend to get up above 90 mph on the open plains with no traffic. Don't worry about my mate, Michael, he always manages the details well ahead of the adventure and during the excursions. When he let me use his Series II to drive the Great Ocean Road, Michael was magnanimous. I won't share the speeds I was able to attain. I will say that going through the twists and turns provided wonderful thrills. I also felt compelled to provide the parts to rework the brakes and thank you Michael for the labor.
We've looked at the new pickups with the rear view camera that causes your trailer to disappear. Not sure about that. Jean says no to the trucks that back the trailer for you. She likes to do that herself when we tow two cars to events. I have roughly 400 lbs of torque and with the gearing of the GMC pulling a trailer I can top Fancy Gap mountain on I77 in Va. at an easy 65 MPH.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Haven't had an intact speedo cable in decades. When my last engine was fresh, and running 3.7 gears, I was getting 16 mph per 1000 rpm. Just after sunrise on a gently curved, downhill stretch of I-90 in eastern Washington state I ran at 6300 rpms for about 30 seconds. At least by my math, I barely topped the 100 mark.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Haven't had an intact speedo cable in decades. When my last engine was fresh, and running 3.7 gears, I was getting 16 mph per 1000 rpm. Just after sunrise on a gently curved, downhill stretch of I-90 in eastern Washington state I ran at 6300 rpms for about 30 seconds. At least by my math, I barely topped the 100 mark.

Need to add an overdrive and 14" wheels. ;-)

Ive got 3.89 with OD and 195/65/14*)s. Very long gearing

whiskytangofoxtrot

Silver Level Sponsor
The last alpine I owned prior to this one was a series IV and the speed limit was 55 everywhere and I never felt weak. The first day when I got this one running I was doing 70 at about 4200 rpms and felt I was being abusive so the alpine and the tiger both now have 5 speeds

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I had my SV up to 95 on the way home from the 2006 Covington United. At least that is what the speedo showed. I was very lucky not to have documented proof of my speed, as the 6 cars in front of me all got pulled over as we drove though a speed trap. I escaped only because I was the 7th car and they ran out of cops before they got to me. It certainly wasn't the smartest thing I have done in my adult life, but it was a beautiful day and I just fell in with a bad crowd. ;)
I once fell in with a bad crowd, only I was in a 289 modified V8 in a 1940 Ford coupe. I backed out at 105 but could have gone much higher with the 29" tall rear tires and a 2.79 rear axle. The motor had much left but something told me to slow down. Just over that hill the highway patrol was waiting. I cruised by the parked cars listening to Aritha singing RESPECT. Some things one NEVER forgets.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I know I started this thread to focus on Sunbeam stories but, Charles, you prompt me to tell my 1939 Hollywood Custom Convertible Ford with a '48 Merc V8, '40 Ford front end, Carson padded top on a three inch chop and a two speed Columbia rear end. The three speed trans and 2 speed rear end gave it essentially 6 gearing combinations. One night after the last movie at the local theater I headed my usual route home. At 1am I stopped at an all night grocery store. Once back on the street I decided to stop and do a Lone Wolf drag race. I had a combination of shifting that allowed me to "scratch" in four shifts to high/high. I didn't get but three blocks and the local Sheriff pulled me over. He asked me for my license and said, "you were going through a Hospital quite zone and I heard four loud tire screeches." I could not lie so I told him I had a three on the tree (3 gear) transmission. "What?" he replied, as he noted the shifting lever on the column. "Well did you see anyone on this street" he asked. Again I wouldn't lie and said, "No". The officer stated, "Alright then you take it easy going home." With relief, I replied, "I certainly will officer."

I think we need to think about a two speed rear end for a Sunbeam. The Columbia provided a 71.5% drop in rpms when high/high was selected. That would take 5000 rpms to 3125. According to Rootes Rooters' rpm to MPH ratio (1000:16) the Sunbeam would be doing 80 MPH at 3125 rpms. Add 14" tires and .... OK this is getting ridiculous.

Columbia-Cross-section.jpg

Columbia Two Speed

Last edited:

Charles Johns

Donation Time
jdoclogan, one more Hot Rod story. I was at the Street Rod nationals in Memphis in the early 1970's in my 1932 Ford rumble seat 5-window coupe. Riding in the rumble seat, smoking a cigar, and sipping a glass of vino...we got stopped. The cop said he understood we were not from Tennessee but in his state, one can't have an open container of alcohol in the passenger area of a vehicle. I mentioned to him I was not in the interior but the trunk. He looked puzzled, but told me to empty my glass, which I did. He praised my deuce coupe and left. My bro-in-law Larry was driving and told me I should have argued the case because I was right. I told Larry I had a cigar and a glass of wine, the cop had a badge and gun. I would lose the argument. Hot Rod or Sportscar, if real car guys, we have many stories to tell. Looking forward to making memories in my SV with a Ford 2.3 and A4LD .75 overdrive and 14" wheels. Thirty plus MPG should be possible.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I forgot to add. Only us old car guys know what a CARSON top is, and a modified 48 Merc flatmotor is a foreign language. A Columbia 2-speed rearend...is "Lost in the 50's" time. Maybe even 40's! Dude, we are old.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
At 14 I did it all by my self, of course with over the shoulder supervision from a swell Dad, installed a '51 Olds engine in my 1940 Ford Club Coupe, Columbia vacuum shift 2 speed rear, sifter in the floor and Zepher gears, dual smithys...etc you Ode Guys know the language:)

But, now it's a new game, Ford V6 in the Alpine,T5, Straight headers disc brakes etc....

Charles Johns

Donation Time
DanR, I have owned five 1940 Fords, love that car. Four had small block chevy engines, one a 289 Ford, all leaned-on. A little 265 in my first, then a 327 in front of a Muncy 4-speed, Doug Thorley headers, Mallory, Edelbrock, Schafer, Traction Masters, Bucrons (probably misspelled) out back that were only sold at Humble gas stations with NO warranty. The last was built after the 73 gas crunch, so I built it for MPG. A truck cam, Autolite 2100 two barrel, Accel ignition, Ford cast iron duals, 24" straight-thru glasspacks, electric fuel pump, clutch fan, gigantic flywheel out of a 4-door sedan, 2.79 gears and 29" tall tires in back. At 75 MPH I got 24 to 25 MPG running the air conditioner. About every hundred yards I had to tap the gas to keep it going. A big flywheel and 29" steel belted radials don't need much once they are rolling.

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have to makes correction on my Tiger where it was posted the car has been in the 8’s but that is my next goal !!
Best 1/4 time has been 9:20@148
I’ve made a major motor change hopefully it will go in the 8’s