• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S2 OD Transmission

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
O/D Spares out of the UK has any part you would need. Very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Mike

Cali_59

Donation Time
Thanks Mike, I did see there page/ read article, but didn't see any tab or button for available parts, I guess contacting them is the key,
Much appreciated!

William Lewis

Silver Level Sponsor
John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics rebuilt my unit (from a Volvo, using an MGB driveshaft). It works like a charm. I sourced parts and having John do the rebuild cost me a little bit more that doing it myself, but he can bench test the unit after rebuilding, which I cannot. Since I am older than my car, I prefer to spend less time installing something that didn't work correctly and then having to pull it again. I figure his labor was well worth the cost. Shipping to Connecticut is about $50 each way from California.

alpine_64

Donation Time
John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics rebuilt my unit (from a Volvo, using an MGB driveshaft). It works like a charm. .

Mgb drive shaft... Are you reffering to the tailshaft from the back of the box of the diff, or the mainshaft that goes from the OD to the gearbox?

If the former.. They could just shorten am alpine tail shaft.

If the later is the mainshaft... I woould assume they got an MG OD mainshaft , used the end that goes into the OD unit and spliced/ sleeved the rootes mainshaft to it to go into the gearbox...?

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Jeff is certainly 'the man' when it comes to Alpine OD's, but shipping both ways across the Pond would certainly add to the time and expense of doing this. Is there no one in North America who does this? Given all of the cars that used the Laycock OD unit, I would think there must be someone.
I ordered an overdrive transmission from Jeff. Shipping, if I recall correctly, was in the neighborhood of $100 and the thing was on my door step in 3 days. In my mind, cheap enough and quick enough.

William Lewis

Silver Level Sponsor
Sorry, I was not very clear on my post. The D type OD is from a Volvo. A Volvo D type will fit onto the back of a Sunbeam OD tranny. The Volvo unit has a flange on the back, so the Sunbeam drive line shaft was replaced with another drive shaft that will fit. An MGB drive shaft is 1" too long and was shortened by a local drive line shop. As far as I know, Sunbeam is the only manufacturer that used a different, and very leaky, D type tail shaft. All other manufactures used the standard flanged D type tail shaft.