• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 Series V Head.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, problem, freshly ground crank. I measure all 5 journals at 2.364. New .010 bearings. Clearance with plastigage .0015. Now granted I didn't do all journals, but will tomorrow.
Anyway, before I can get the main caps finger tightened, the crank is getting difficult to turn. Did go to torque of 55 lb, and was impossible to turn the crank. No, nothing else attached to it. Now when they ground the crank, they would have known, would they not? if there was a bend or something?
Yes, .010 bearings, checked and marked ok.
Anything?
Yes, I oiled heavily before assembly, meaning to take it apart and clean and use assembly grease for final assembly.
Face of #1 Cap flush with engine.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Check the bearings carefully to be sure they are the right dimension. I got a set that was way off and it took me a week to realize it. I just assumed they were correct and that it must be something else. Nope. Defective set.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
That's why back in the day I would have the machine shop just build the bottom end, that way they would know what they did wrong.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Can anyone explain the data information on Journals A and Journals B? Why two dimensions on the Data list? Again, crank measures out to 2.364, crank is running true, but as soon as I put one cap on and finger tighten the bolts, the crank starts to lock up. data 1.jpg

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The A versus B was whether the machinist was having a good day or not. A means all was well. B means it took a second pass on the lathe.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, so when you get an engine in a basket, guess you never know what you get. Looks like the main bearing caps were not original to this engine. Yikes, another process to go through. Still, I'm bringing this engine in under budget, so I'm good with the extra work

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I always have my motors line-bored because the mains are often a bit off during manufacturing. This will resolve your problem.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, so when you get an engine in a basket, guess you never know what you get. Looks like the main bearing caps were not original to this engine. Yikes, another process to go through. Still, I'm bringing this engine in under budget, so I'm good with the extra work
Line boring is allways a good idea

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have NOT had a block "align Bored"

I have had blocks "align HONED".

The difference is how much is taken off the block/caps.

The PROBLEM is that it moves the position of the crank in relation to the transmission!

IF you have a Block align BORED you NEED to check/FIX the crank/trans alignment.

NOT an easy thing to do!

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, my question now, and I have no experience with it, if you align-bore/hone, what does that do to the bearing size? Now is the bearing too loose in the "bore"? Need special bearings? Or is it a case of "just enough"? I realize the bearings are the correct size for the crank.

65beam

Donation Time
Did you have all machine work done at the same shop? If so ,take everything to them, tell them the problem you had and they can check everything and let them assemble the crank, pistons and rods. Have them install cam bearings and install the cam. You should be able to take it from there.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you have all machine work done at the same shop? If so ,take everything to them, tell them the problem you had and they can check everything and let them assemble the crank, pistons and rods. Have them install cam bearings and install the cam. You should be able to take it from there.

Good advice, especially if you have doubts!

65beam

Donation Time
Good advice, especially if you have doubts!
I learned a lot over the years. You would almost think one of my responsibilities was being in charge of a fleet covering 13 states and ranging from cars to class 8 Haz Mat tankers.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
OK, got some more stuff to post about this engine, but just wanting to clarify something. When I got these new pistons, the rings were pre-installed. The second rings all measure out to have 011 clearance. Top rings all have 016-018 clearance. I've read everything and wsm and forum all say top ring at 025. My machinist is wondering about this. I'm sure the answer is to go with the wsm and manual. Care to jump in here with opinions?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's a delta of only about 0.008"...(.025"-.017"). As a rule of thumb, never, never have the top ring pinched with too little clearance.
Jan

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
That's a delta of only about 0.008"...(.025"-.017"). As a rule of thumb, never, never have the top ring pinched with too little clearance.
Jan
Jim I got the fuel pump plate yesterday. You put some work into that. I have been cleaning up the garage today and cleaning parts preparing to paint them.