• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Pan Inside Finish

ChrisR

Donation Time
Dropped the oil pan today to access the oil pump. Noticed that the inside of the pan seemed to have been painted at sone time. Not sure it would be coked oil, but who knows. So my question is, how should the inside of the pan be finished? Should it be painted or not. If yes, what type,of paint?
I am wondering also about the outside. Would POR15 stand the heat?
Could one of you folks out there with more engine experience than me please pass on your wisdom?
Thanks, Chris

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dropped the oil pan today to access the oil pump. Noticed that the inside of the pan seemed to have been painted at sone time. Not sure it would be coked oil, but who knows. So my question is, how should the inside of the pan be finished? Should it be painted or not. If yes, what type,of paint?
I am wondering also about the outside. Would POR15 stand the heat?
Could one of you folks out there with more engine experience than me please pass on your wisdom?
Thanks, Chris
Bare metal!

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Yes, bare metal on the inside, will be quite protected by the engine oil, and any 500 deg. Engine paint on the outside would withstand the heat. I mean if your oil gets over 500 deg. Well, it won't.
Por 15 is just not needed.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
While I am sure you are talking about the steel oil pans, its a very good idea to paint the inside of the alloy pans to seal up the pores in the alloy.
Ask me how I know this...

alpine_64

Donation Time
While I am sure you are talking about the steel oil pans, its a very good idea to paint the inside of the alloy pans to seal up the pores in the alloy.
Heard the allpy sumps are very porus which is why they often look so stained. What would be the best sealer to use that still allowd good heat transfer?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Good question, I used an epoxy paint. Not sure if there are paints out there that are both thermally conductive as well as durable enough not to worry about it sluffing off and plugging the sump filter.

65beam

Donation Time
I've owned several fastbacks with the aluminum pan over the last 40 years. Still have one that many of you know. I've never seen any significant amount of oil on the pan other than what leaks from the timing cover area. If this leaking is prevalent for many maybe these owners should do what I've always done. I detail everything on my cars and the aluminum pans are painted on the outside using either detail grey or spray grey which I buy from Eastwood. All depends on the shade you want. I had one car that I used their Aluma Blast but I feel it's too bright. This has the pan painted with detail grey.100_0192.JPG

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I would Vapor blast the aluminum pan inside and out, this is who I use https://www.restocycle.com/ . I also powder coat my pans inside and out, metal or aluminum.
RIMG0084-XL.jpg

RIMG0085-XL.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Paul scofield had done a beautiful job on ine he had, had hydro blasted it apparently several times inside and out.. Think bill atalla had done the same on one. Hou1 could polish the outisde for a finish...

However they used an alloy sump to help cooling so painting inside and out would impact that. Not an issue if you dont drive it much or hard.. But the 1725s give the oil a hard time.

Toyanvils might be less sensitive too oil temp as he runs more modern japanese engines which probably have better tolerance

65beam

Donation Time
Keep in mind the liability issues if an internal engine problem came up so many shops would not coat the inside for that reason. A local shop powder coated some items for a street rod and many shops did other work. There was an accident and the driver was killed so the family filed a law suit that included every shop that worked on the car and parts. Took a few years to settle. If you coat your self then the "what if " goes away.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Keep in mind the liability issues if an internal engine problem came up so many shops would not coat the inside for that reason. A local shop powder coated some items for a street rod and many shops did other work. There was an accident and the driver was killed so the family filed a law suit that included every shop that worked on the car and parts. Took a few years to settle. If you coat your self then the "what if " goes away.
Does 1 to 23, just in case they missed a defendant. Wonder what the crazy $ Porchah guys do . $14,000 for a 912 motor quoted for my pal...