• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

VTO New LAT 70 Style Wheels

alpine_64

Donation Time
These have been avaialble a while now via sunbeam specialities, the proportions of the holes and hub centre of the 15" looks stange on the cars imho.
index.php

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's the standard 15" vs 13" problem, they don't fill the wheel well the same. Then needing the domino effect of changing things to lower stance and the associated ride quality change as well. As it goes there are a few more 13" tires available but still not a lot of choices. The LAT 15"s also lack a deep dish look that the 13"s have. Since we are opining a sequel isn't the equal. I have a 13" original set and they are correct but rather aggravating with their awkward lug nuts and who put that pretend spinner in the way;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
I think some 15s look ok, it depends on the design.. The original LAT70s look ok, the new ones the size of the holes vs the centre section just doesn't quite work. If you made the holes stretch further to the center they would become like pizza slices, if you added more holes it would be worse... You could maybe have 1 less hole so you could extend them further and reduce the centre hub without changing the hole shape... Maybe that would work

65beam

Donation Time
I saw these wheels on a couple cars at the United this past year and on another at the Pittsburgh show. They look decent. I have two sets of a different VTO wheel on a couple cars and it's all a matter of owner preference.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looks like a photo shopped effect and way too skinny tires. As for the 79.500 MK2 with side badges and lettered boot that makes the missing parts purrty spensive if it b a reel kar ;)

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. I have the VTO LAT70s on my project and I plus enthusiast friends and the body shop guys think they look great. Not like there is a plethora of 13" LAT70s available and they are not the ubiquitous minilite style.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow. I have the VTO LAT70s on my project and I plus enthusiast friends and the body shop guys think they look great. Not like there is a plethora of 13" LAT70s available and they are not the ubiquitous minilite style.
I guess I am following the herd with the 14" panasports. I will have enough other personal touches to make up for it when I am done. My new interior is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Still going to be a while before I need it. I dont go to paint until the end of april.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I guess I am following the herd with the 14" panasports. .
These days 14 is away from the heard ... The heard went 15" in mid 2000s and Tiger guys have been migrating to 16s of late.

Personally i think 14s with a decent sidewall suit sunbeams the best... Fill out the wheel arches with a period look and without getting all fast and the furious :p

I like 195/60/14s.

index.php

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looks and ride are to be considered. It is easier to not wear your coffee with a more cushy sidewall. True that nearly everyone has a set of 13" LAT copies but the originals are few and far between. A loose quote from the BoN has him story telling like old car guys do on how he chased and bought a repop center spinner. I sold my Sunbeam Specialties fake LAT 13"s but have to run and or keep the originals. When you can jump from one car shod with the 13"s and then 15"s you can drive down the same pot holed road and feel the difference.
I'm practicing my line, "Honest officer I'm haven't been drinking I' trying to miss the pot holes and cracks."

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
These days 14 is away from the heard ... The heard went 15" in mid 2000s and Tiger guys have been migrating to 16s of late.

Personally i think 14s with a decent sidewall suit sunbeams the best... Fill out the wheel arches with a period look and without getting all fast and the furious :p

I like 195/60/14s.

index.php
A lot of folks started with sixteens a while back fourteens are not the way as you say. Still enough fifteen stuff available to go that way.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor

I like 195/60/14s.

index.php
I had been thinking about 185's to keep steering effort down, but I must admit the 195's look good.