• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

#41 Sebring Alpine Rear Ends

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
spmdr, your input is outstanding. Do you know what the original 1962 Sebring Alpine setup would have been?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just for the record, the Rootes ratios are likely 3.89 and 4.22

The 4.33 is likely a Dana/Spicer gear set, with a Dana 23 or 27 LSD/Powerloc.

For racing, 4.22 or 4.55 are better gears, than a 3.89, in general.

Steve Alcala's old Green Alpine was faster than his current Sebring car, because he ran Webers and a 4.55 gear in the old car.

We have been running Zenith Carbs on Alcala's Sebring, the Love Bug and Weekend Racer Alpines. A change order has been put in...

The Love Bug Alpine has a 4.09 Dana 44 rear.

The Weekend Racer has a 3.89.

I think Larry Young's Alpine ran a 4.27 Dana 44 rear.

I think I want a 4.27 or lower number in the Weekend Racer.
Dan,

On a short course a 4.22 would be good. On some of the longer more open circuits i can see 3.89 being ok. LeMans def taller the better. I remeber reading thr interview with either Harper or Proctor about the race at LM in the alpine. Apparently at the start of the Mulsane they would light up amd then ash out before the breaking zone at the end of the straight... Those were the days.

Dan was steves replica sebring twin 40dcoes motor aldo a 1725 as opposed to a 1600?

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
On the Facebook "Rootes Racing" page I posted two pages from 1964. It list all the races Dan and Don ran with the Alpine. Just below the name of the course HJ listed the gear ratio. The car had O.D. and almost all races were using the 4.22 and 4.44. Example, Road America and Mid-Ohio, 4.22.

Lynndale and Watkins Glen, 4.44. I was surprised at Watkins Glen using the 4.44. It seems like the 4.22 would have been better but they might have been anticipating running at Thompson and didn't want to have to change the differential since it was 2 weeks later.

I think I have notes where they used a 4.86 ratio at Lime Rock but that might have been from 1963

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The 4.33 is likely a Dana/Spicer gear set, with a Dana 23 or 27 LSD/Powerloc.
Dan, I hear what you are saying but I just cant picture a Dana gearset mounting up into the Rootes pumpkin. There are just too many degrees of freedom of the parts for them to line up in the Rootes pumpkin within the range that shims could adjust the ring and pinion for perfect mesh.
The Dana 23/25 is the Powr-lok carrier that was used in the day, the Dana 27 carrier as well as the ring gear is tool large to mount in the rootes pumpkin.
I have a set of each Powr-Lok carriers.

My bet is that Rootes made low qty runs of non standard gearset just like they did with the 10 spline axles.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Dana 27 number was a poor guess, I knew there was another number, 25 just didn't come to mind.

I have only seen one Rootes Pumpkin modified for a Dana/Spicer LS.

I'm not sure what gear set was used, Rootes or Dana.

As I recall, it was disassembled, hard to say what all the parts are, from memory, YEARS ago.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
As far as Steve's old Green Alpine, he ran several engines, both 1600 and 1725.

The engines were a mix of performance levels. We did run a 1600 with a 1725 cam and oil pump.

The 1600s were mostly place holders between 1725s.

As far as the rear ends with LS, chances are most or all of the parts in the US are likely traceable to Doane Spencer.

And as far as rear end gears, again, you NEED to be able to PULL a gear.

The 3.89 is a bit too tall for the Weekend Racer, with it's current (low) power level/aero drag level, a 4.22 would be better, maybe, 4.09 for sure.

And, of course, the usual Alpine engine on a diet of some steroids usually wants to see more RPM, AND a bigger number rear gear.

There IS a case of TOO tall rear end gearing, at least on the track.

Last edited:

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a drawing created by HJ Meyer of Sports Car Forum which he starts with a Plymouth rear axle and then tapered to fit the Alpine hub. Looking at the drawing I am assuming the axle is a 10 spline at the start. Overall it is beefier than the Alpine axle. I can't recall if Don or Dan ever broke axles when they were racing the Alpine but it is a problem. I am sure they magnafluxed the axles regularly.

Oddly, I have an LSD out of a California Alpine which uses the fine spline axle. I don't think it is a Dana but I'm unsure of the manufacture. The carrier cover isn't the hard sharp shoulder you typically see on Dana LSDs. More of a rounded cast cover. Unfortunately, it is damaged beyond use. (this reminds me of the Kime's LSD if I am recalling correctly)

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was able to get the two rear ends (standard 3.89 and 4.44 LSD) completely disassembled. The following photos show the axle comparison between the LSD 4.44 ten teeth axle and standard 3.89 17 teeth axle. Interesting the standard axle is longer than the LSD and the LSD has a thicker taper at the tooth
end.
upload_2020-1-27_16-36-17.png
upload_2020-1-27_16-23-45.png

Note: a couple sets of hardened woodruff axle keys from George Coleman on the left. Thanks George.

There was a reason the LSD was not used for the next race. The bearing on one axle went bad and there was actual movement of about 1/4 inch to the outside.
upload_2020-1-27_16-37-53.png

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those inner splines on the LSD look remarkably like those on an Austin Healey. Kinda make you wonder...