• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
What is a reasonable shipping "handling" time for you guys?
What can you do about it?
Recently experiencing Sssssssssssssssslow times from shippers.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There were two different lights offered as options. Finned cars used a Sparto light that can be seen here: https://sunbeamtigerparts.com/listing/nos-sunbeam-tiger-sparto-reverse-lights/. I’m not finding any good photos of the Wipac ones at the moment. Here is a ratty pair: https://www.usedvictoria.com/classi...hts-chrome-Wipac-S210A-Sae-66-_32593310.lite? Note the mounting studs come out of the back. A more common version of this light has the stud coming out of the top and is often sold as being correct for Alpines and Tigers, but the proper ones are those that mount from the back. Of course, your car isn’t exactly “proper” so...

65beam

Donation Time
The Sparto lights were used on series 1 thru 4. Series 5 had the back mount Wipac which bolted thru holes in the rear valance. The Wipacs with the top mount were used on some sedans and was standard for the fastback Alpines. They were mounted using a bracket that bolted to the bumper.100_0259.JPG This photo shows the top mount which was the same in appearance as the ones used on series 5's. The top mount was used on several other cars of the time and were readily available. I have two NOS sets of the top mount units that have amber lenses which were I believe were used on cars in France.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
There were two different lights offered as options. Finned cars used a Sparto light that can be seen here: https://sunbeamtigerparts.com/listing/nos-sunbeam-tiger-sparto-reverse-lights/. I’m not finding any good photos of the Wipac ones at the moment. Here is a ratty pair: https://www.usedvictoria.com/classi...hts-chrome-Wipac-S210A-Sae-66-_32593310.lite? Note the mounting studs come out of the back. A more common version of this light has the stud coming out of the top and is often sold as being correct for Alpines and Tigers, but the proper ones are those that mount from the back. Of course, your car isn’t exactly “proper” so...
Thanks Jim,
The Sparto look nice and would match my tail lights, where were they mounted? I have not ever seen these before.
Guy

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a file with instructions but just tried to open it and it looks like it has gotten corrupted. I can dig out an old computer and try it, but maybe someone else here has a copy. Just FYI, the lights are reasonably available, but the bases - which have a fairly complex shape to match the rear valance - are quite rare.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
The reason I ask the question is on Flickr there is a white one with round back up lights mounted inboard of the tail lights.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Guy ... Couldn't get your attachments to come up? ... Here's a couple of pic.s of reverse lights that seem to be what was fitted at the time ... Sparto's on an early and late Alp, L661's and Wipac's. .... I've seen one Alp running Sparto's with rubber mounting base's off another rootes car, can't seem to find it ... I'll keep looking! .... What about these for rear view spectacles ... not period correct, but? .... Did you decide on bumpers? ... Split or full length? ... The 'vette bumpers John posted are sweet looking.

..... David

Attachments

• SII dealer fit rev lamps.jpg
    SII dealer fit rev lamps.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 59
  • SII dealer fit rev light.jpg
    SII dealer fit rev light.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 63573320-770-0@2X.jpg
    63573320-770-0@2X.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Rootes 5-31-13 007.jpg
    Rootes 5-31-13 007.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 58
  • lucas L661.jpg
    lucas L661.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Wipac-S210A-Reverse-Light-N-O-S-Ford.jpg
    Wipac-S210A-Reverse-Light-N-O-S-Ford.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 57
  • speedster-10.jpg
    speedster-10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 57

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
David,
Thanks so much for those pictures, especially the last one!
Funny you should ask about the bumpers since I put two together and mounted them on the car for looks. The Corvette bumpers have two issues, first off they are too big and the part that makes a 90 degree turn down runs right into my exhaust. You have a PM coming with pictures.
Guy

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since the car is so highly modified, maybe early Mustang back up lights could be worked into the rear valance.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been looking at all my options for backup lights and I have to say that MikeH nailed it. The Mustang lights (64.5-70) would look really good, however the LED conversion for those is $300

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed LED's (automotive stuff, purchased from Parts America) in the base of the halogen bulbs that were in my backup lights. Kind of a pain to do, involves breaking bulbs and soldering, but works just fine. Really are better than the halogens, which were small driving lights wired in series to cut the brightness, but still too bright but still too bright for backup lights.

BTW, I think we should refrain from calling them reverse light, which means they emit darkness, unless of course, they are Lucas units. My wife says backup lights sounds like lights that are for use when the main light fail. True. Maybe they should be referred to as backing up lights.

Bill