• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber conversion

Geoff 67

Donation Time
IMG_0861.JPG I have a late 67 Alpine that I am converting to a Weber DGV. The manifold I got from Classic Sunbeam has two aprox. 7/16 holes taped into it. My old intake had a 5/8 hole on top where the brake booster hose was attached. How do other owners hook up this hose. The attached picture shows the manifold and original plug with nipple.
It looks like I will either need a manifold with a larger hole, or some kind of adapter. Any ideas would be appreciated, and pictures would be helpful.
Thanks
Geoff

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
View attachment 17491 I have a late 67 Alpine that I am converting to a Weber DGV. The manifold I got from Classic Sunbeam has two aprox. 7/16 holes taped into it. My old intake had a 5/8 hole on top where the brake booster hose was attached. How do other owners hook up this hose. The attached picture shows the manifold and original plug with nipple.
It looks like I will either need a manifold with a larger hole, or some kind of adapter. Any ideas would be appreciated, and pictures would be helpful.
Thanks
Geoff
Maybe you just retap for your fitting?!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would try to get an ordinary hose adapter with the proper thread/hose size. Try good hardware stores or plumbing shops.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would try to get an ordinary hose adapter with the proper thread/hose size. Try good hardware stores or plumbing shops.

That's a really good idea! Sometimes you have to think a little differently when converting parts for our cars.
If you run the brake booster from that manifold, don't do it from the top threaded hole. I did that once and the car ran
with a miss that I couldn't locate. Turned out that the vacuum from that port was pulling the fuel away from cylinder
#1. Once I covered that hole, car ran like a top.

Cheers!
Steve

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
I'm running a Weber on my SIV. I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow with the particulars unless someone else beats me to it. You'll love the Weber!

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
That's a Pierce manifold aftermarket If you do not need to use that vacuum nipple, I would get one with the right thread that will fit your hose there should be a hole for the PCV as well?

Geoff 67

Donation Time
That's a really good idea! Sometimes you have to think a little differently when converting parts for our cars.
If you run the brake booster from that manifold, don't do it from the top threaded hole. I did that once and the car ran
with a miss that I couldn't locate. Turned out that the vacuum from that port was pulling the fuel away from cylinder
#1. Once I covered that hole, car ran like a top.

Cheers!
Steve
Thanks for the reply. If you plug those holes where do you attach the brake booster vacuum hose?
Thanks
Geoff

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
On that car, I didn't install a booster as the customer didn't want it. If you want to use the booster
I'd use the port under the carb as it wouldn't be pulling vacuum away from a cylinder. Other than that
you can make your own port elsewhere on the intake manifold. I believe your manifold has a blank
area where a PCV valve can be located. You need to drill and tap the hole, but it's pretty easy to get
a vacuum source for the booster.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why not use the existing hole, shown in your photo, at the side of the main plenum under the carburetor?