• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Halogen headlights

Cali_59

Donation Time
First off, wow! What a great photograph! so clean! I hope mine can someday look this good!. My current lights are both different colors, just the way it came. I Will do the bat to relay as you wisely suggest! Can you recall which relay I will need?

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
You don't need to rewire anything if you go to LED's they are brighter and consume a whole lot less current.
I tried LED and found Halogen are brighter and more reliable at half the price of LED when wired using relay and last longer. Using relays removes almost all the load off the stock wiring, I also have relays on my brake and tail lights.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Wouldn't you want to replace 50+ year old wiring from a British Car?
OF COURSE
Relays are a good way to go if your wiring is okay and you are trying to keep your car factory original. They can be added without cutting into the stock wiring and easy to remove.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are they original Lucas PL's or one of the more modern reproductions. If the latter, where did you get them?

If you're looking for PL repros I can get them. Much improved over the originals with an anti fog
coating on the lens.
Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you're looking for PL repros I can get them. Much improved over the originals with an anti fog
coating on the lens.
Thanks, Steve. I will want a set when I get to that point with my V6, but sadly, that is still a while away.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
With electrics just keep an eye on watts to stay safe. Halogen, standard sealed beams, LED's or whatever, if you are not having trouble now and stay with the same wattage, you will not have any problems. Wattage is wattage, volts is volts, and amps is amps. Increasing those without modification is where troubles begin. I wire my cars from scratch and spent 20 years as a TV service tech. Actually, in my day I was just an old TV repairman.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have, but so many of the repros have a bad rap that I am always interested in first hand reviews from people I trust.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Question, as an old street rodder still getting my feet wet in sportscars, do regular SAE 7" headlights work in the Sunbeam sockets? How about 1157 and other 12v SAE bulbs? I have a small 12v heater to use, and wire my cars from scratch. Since I do that, I can make any 12v system work but bulbs must fit the space available. If necessary I can modify the light sockets but if that is necessary, you guys have probably done it and know the "tricks" if any are required.