• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I want to start up a rebuilt 1725 that's been left to sit... for a long time!

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I don't have a crank :(. Should I try to turn the fan now or should I let Marvel sit in there first? If I turn it, which direction am I turning it in if in facing the engine or does it matter

If your engine isn't seized, with the plugs out it should turn pretty easily, just don't force it. Since you have the 1-5/16 slotted nut, the 1/2 drive ratchet
won't be an option for you. The only other way to turn it over would be to put it in gear and rock the car back & forth, of course
with the plugs still out. That would be a last resort, but it should turn by hand with the fan, just be careful ,don't use too much force.

Steve

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Scott,

Like Steve mentioned, you posted a picture showing you have the original starting jaw nut. It is circled below. A deep 1-5/16 socket will fit on that nut. I was able to use a 1/2" ratchet with a Tektron 1-5/16" socket to turn my engine when setting my valve lash. Or if you find the space too tight, add a long socket extension through the hand starter crank hole in the front valence.

upload_2019-10-5_22-57-30.png

I guess you removed the V-belt? It was present in another picture.

Mike

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
You almost always can pull the belt alone on cars , if needed wrap a rag around it .
Plan B put car in gear on level ground and rock it slightly increasing force. The more raw oil you dump in the more your neighbors will hate you and the cloud that burns off in the exhaust manifold. Even with a Tiger I use the cheaper spark plugs on start up then change to good ones later. Possibly using a spray fogging oil is nice but another 6 or 7 bucks.... but it'll coat the cylinder walls and surface somewhat better.

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
Update: I can easily turn the crank with zero problem. The engine is not seized one bit. I moved the motor a full rotation. What should I do next?

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Update: I can easily turn the crank with zero problem. The engine is not seized one bit. I moved the motor a full rotation. What should I do next?
Scott, I would change oil, coolant, charge up the battery and spin the motor and see if you get oil pressure. But before you do that pull the distributor cap if you get pressure put the cap back on and see if the engine fires if it does let it warm up. Don’t rev the motor let it idle. It will likely smoke a bit or a lot depending how much oil is in the cylinders.

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
Scott, I would change oil, coolant, charge up the battery and spin the motor and see if you get oil pressure. But before you do that pull the distributor cap if you get pressure put the cap back on and see if the engine fires if it does let it warm up. Don’t rev the motor let it idle. It will likely smoke a bit or a lot depending how much oil is in the cylinders.

Ok, I will do that today! A few q's:

What motor oil does/should a 1725 use and how much should I put in? It's been 10 years and I don't remember for the life of me.

How long should I run the motor or should i just let it run to idle?

Is there a point in this step where i should introduce gas or whatever spray into the carb?

And something that i didn't think about until this morning: should i put the spark plugs back in if I'm not working on this? They've been out for a day and change now, will having them out for a period of time damage the inside via moisture, etc? I have that side of the engine covered and taped with a plastic garbage bag so nothing could get in, but maybe I was just being stupid...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rutttro not another oil question ... Isn't that on the list with political speech;)
It's just going to be in for break in 300 miles so I wouldn't break bank on the brand.
I always finger tight return plugs to their holes as you never know when life will get in the way again.
Quick start washes oil off of cylinders a small ketchup like bottle with a nice teaspoon of 2 stroke oil , not while cranking and not without a fire extinguisher and a heavy smothering blanket nearby.
Be sure to disconnect fuel line drop end in can to catch trapped fuel in line. Verify it flows clean and re connect .
Oh and make sure home and car insurance are paid up , just kidding...

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Given that the engine was barely run after the rebuild, it might be a good idea to add some ZDDP to the oil to protect the camshaft and lifters from wear.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
You could always get a Valvoline racing with added Zinc in a single viscosity.
But call ahead as it's not an in stock item , usually available in 30 or 20-50 wt.
Wow we said that at same time...

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Think the brad penn racing and break in oils they male for flat tappet motors might be a good choice for the intial run
Valvoline VR 1 with ZDDP is a good choice. I have 2 cases in my garage. I run my engines with full VR 1 I also use a larger filter such as a ph8a.

am99ey

Gold Level Sponsor
.. in one of the pictures I have recognized that you have a DC generator. The rear bearing could do with a few drops of motor oil (with a hand oiler) - as it is a sleeve bearing and probably dry by now..
Most likely there is a small hole in the rear bearing cap for this purpose.
The front bearing is a ball point bearing without need for service ..

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
Exchanged what I had and got a ph8a filter and this oil. Hunting for a Gano Filter atm.

Attachments

• 20191010_160551.jpg
    20191010_160551.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A Gano filter is incredibly overpriced for what it is.
Depending on the size of your hose.... the radiator hose this is a G rated site..
You can get a copper 1"1/4 or larger and a nice little stainless steel drain screen from Home Depot, its not that hard to fashion your own. They actually sell one that's dead on the size of a small block Ford thermostat. Since you will be running it while parked and just going through a few operating temp cycles should not be a problem. Check it out after a couple of times for chunks of cast iron. If you have not have the radiator cleaned before you parked it did it sit with a mix of coolant and water or plain tap water? If the radiator is not clean don't worry about the Gano filter. Look in with a dental mirror and make the call . Start looking now for radiator shops as they are a dying breed.

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
A Gano filter is incredibly overpriced for what it is.
Depending on the size of your hose.... the radiator hose this is a G rated site..
You can get a copper 1"1/4 or larger and a nice little stainless steel drain screen from Home Depot, its not that hard to fashion your own. They actually sell one that's dead on the size of a small block Ford thermostat. Since you will be running it while parked and just going through a few operating temp cycles should not be a problem. Check it out after a couple of times for chunks of cast iron. If you have not have the radiator cleaned before you parked it did it sit with a mix of coolant and water or plain tap water? If the radiator is not clean don't worry about the Gano filter. Look in with a dental mirror and make the call . Start looking now for radiator shops as they are a dying breed.

The radiator was installed brand new with a mix of coolant and water and has sat that way since :/.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
To be honest, I think you are overthinking this whole thing. If you are that concerned about the radiator
drain it, and the block and take the radiator to a shop and have it cleaned. While it's out take apart the
thermostat fittings and replace the gaskets and thermostat. When you get the radiator back refill with fresh
coolant. If the radiator was new when you parked the car and was filled with coolant it's probably going to
be ok, but I'd have it checked just to make sure. Just out of curiosity, where did you find a new radiator for
your Alpine? As far as I know they haven't been available for quite some time.

As far as the condition of the radiator goes, you can take the cap off and look into the tubes. You can usually
see them even with coolant in there. If they look clean, you're in good shape. If they look clogged, you're not
and should have it professionally cleaned.

Cheers!
Steve

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I have a shop that "makes" my radiators for my Alpines. They are all copper and I specify three tubes with 17 fins.

Gerald, will take my old stock Alpine radiator, replace the core with a new three tube 17 fin all copper core around $350 - 400.

He made a mistake on one of my most recent re-core jobs doing with 14 fins per inch. Attention to detail was a motto I lived with for most of my life especially during my USAF career. Must be slipping in my Olde Age:)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Possible to make a White pages section for vendors?
Got a pal who wants a Tiger rad core for with 10 tube nick breaks.

Oh and last note , get her going before it's too late cause of the weather.