• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

LED Tail lights

Hodee

Donation Time
I know this is the Stock forum, but wondered if an 1137 LED bulb with work directly with the stock electrical system for rear running, brake and turn lights. thanks

jfcroni

Donation Time
I have them installed in the rear with incandescent in the front. Works great. No need to replace the flasher with the filament bulbs in front.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Generally yes. In some cases you may find that you need to install a diode in series with each of the hot leads in the bulb. THere are some LED bulbs that plug in where the two sides are not fully isolated and you power one side and the other one comes on too. The diodes will solve this. Most of the time you do not need the diodes.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Use LEDs that are the same color of the lens. A white LEDs generally produces a dim, pinkish brake light. Also, LEDs that produce a concentrated beam work better than ones that produce scattered light. The Alpine light housing has a very poor reflector, LEDs with concentrated output allow you to compensate for the poor design.
Bill

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
A search on 1137 bulb did not turn up anything automotive related. Did you possibly mean 1157?

Since you mentioned running, brake, and turn lights, just wanted you to know the stock setup is one tail light socket is an 1156, single element bulb, and the other socket is an 1157, dual element bulb.

Mike

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I have the LEDs from Joe Parlanti (Sunbeam guy) all the way around my Alpine, inside and out. They were plug and play with the existing equipment, other than a flasher for the turn signals, which is included with the exterior kit.

Hodee

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies, and yes an 1157 and likely an 1156. I think Joe Parlanti is a Texas person? I'm in Houston so I think I'll try that route.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought Joe's exterior kit, interior lamps for gauges, and his headlamps. I'm very happy with it all. They are a huge improvement over stock incandescent bulbs.

Mike

loose_electron

Donation Time
EBay is also a great place to get good prices on these parts. Search the old bulb type and LED, and plenty of options will pop up. Since my S2 is resto-mod, I also replaced all the sockets with non Lucas sockets, and did a set of LED headlights too.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
EBay is also a great place to get good prices on these parts. Search the old bulb type and LED, and plenty of options will pop up. Since my S2 is resto-mod, I also replaced all the sockets with non Lucas sockets, and did a set of LED headlights too.
Some of what you see on EBay is Parlanti’s lights. I think his Ebay handle is tiger1a.