• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1966 Alpine up for auction

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
This hopefully should bring some top dollars. Hope it does anyway, our little cars need to start getting a little respect.
There are a few things about this car I don't like, but overall a very, very nicely done automobile.

First, I'll say, I like the car a lot.
I absolutely hate the sun visors. But I can tell they probably outperform the correct visors. Which really, only "look" cool.
The Temp control knobs if not original, should have been black I think. I know, red and black interior. I get it.
I originally painted my engine compartment black. What a difference when it's body color. Things just kind of shine.
It needs a repair done on the steering wheel. I believe the CAT club has had a new run of repair hubs made.
Only other thing that's going to hold it back a bit maybe is no Overdrive.
But, a beautiful car, I'd hate to be in a car show against him.

65beam

Donation Time
The labor rate of $48.00/hour is half of the local rate here. $90.00 is normal around here.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Pretty nice Alpine-I don't think he has been to the Invasion with it. Anyone in NC seen this car? And it does need a steering wheel hub repair kit-CAT does not make or sell those though. absunbeam and I do! We just had another batch of 50 of them made.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
The labor rate of $48.00/hour is half of the local rate here. $90.00 is normal around here.
In many cases the mechanic/technician working on our cars is not skilled and is in a learning mode. But we get charged $50 - $100 an hour while they “practice” on our Alpine’s.

Rick

65beam

Donation Time
I don't always have the time to do repairs to the Beams. When I need outside help that doesn't have to practice, there is a person in the Dayton area that does it for me. Doug has a good knowledge after 50 something years of working on Tigers and Alpines. He recently replaced the entire braking system except for lines on the series 5.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Pretty nice Alpine-I don't think he has been to the Invasion with it. Anyone in NC seen this car? And it does need a steering wheel hub repair kit-CAT does not make or sell those though. absunbeam and I do! We just had another batch of 50 of them made.

Eric,

I'm in the general area and do not recall seeing that, or any other Alpine, on the road for years. Which doesn't actually mean a great deal.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Let's see, a Bargain; Guy most likely spent $20,000 or more, and sold it for $16,000.
Could that be considered a bargain for someone? But then again, if he got $4-5000 worth of enjoyment out of them, maybe he broke even?
Then again, if you buy a brand new car today and drive it off the lot, how much do you lose immediately? Used car now.
A Bargain; In this case, the buyer definitely got a bargain. Seller most likely took it in the shorts. Not so good a bargain.
Anyway, $16,000 is a much better price than I've been seeing for our Alpines. Good for the Seller. Good for the future sales of our cars.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Certainly agree with Jim . I think the market for under 25,000 play cars is pretty good. BaT is a retailers and quite possibly a shillers and sellers gambit... Look at the number of cars re sold on BaT six months to a year later as well as the "costs of sale vs. eBay fees vs a dealer's commission. Where else can you buy a car, with a credit card? How many get there with a trailer and walk from the deal? How many really do send a commercial hauler to pick up the car then live with the results? IMHO I'd never buy any car without driving it nor a personal inspection. I like BaT as its eye candy that I can get caught looking at :)

Scott Rodrigues

Donation Time
Certainly agree with Jim . I think the market for under 25,000 play cars is pretty good. BaT is a retailers and quite possibly a shillers and sellers gambit... Look at the number of cars re sold on BaT six months to a year later as well as the "costs of sale vs. eBay fees vs a dealer's commission. Where else can you buy a car, with a credit card? How many get there with a trailer and walk from the deal? How many really do send a commercial hauler to pick up the car then live with the results? IMHO I'd never buy any car without driving it nor a personal inspection. I like BaT as its eye candy that I can get caught looking at :)

Totally agree with this save one minor detail: my brother bought his Mercedes with a credit card at a lot out here. I thought it was wild for a number of reasons but I guess some dealers do accept credit cards. I wouldn't.

65beam

Donation Time
We bought these two cars without seeing them prior to buying. The blue car came from California and the white one came from Washington, D.C. If you intend to tear them apart and they become restored keepers that were bought for the right price then why have to drive them first? If your intention is to buy and flip then you're not a collector and yes, for obvious reasons you need to see what you're buying. 100_0545.JPG 100_0192.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Anyway, $16,000 is a much better price than I've been seeing for our Alpines.

I friend on mine that had to sell his recently restored SV V6 Alpine just sold it for $30K. He had more than that invested for sure.

Two years ago a fire in California destroyed everything He and His wife owned, except for the vehicle they drove through the fire, some hastily gathered papers and the Alpine that was in a build down town being worked on.

Attachments

• Peter Beocks V6    IMG_0239.jpg
    Peter Beocks V6 IMG_0239.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Peter Beocks V6     IMG_0238.jpg
    Peter Beocks V6 IMG_0238.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 25