• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator Cap Recommendations

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I bought the Slant 10206 7 lbs radiator cap. Doesn't fit. Trying the Gate 31306.

Anybody got any radiator caps which fit a stock Sunbeam Series V radiator?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a list of caps you may find one for your Alpine. I run a 231 on a rebuilt Copper radiator for my V6. I utilized the same filler neck from my original SV 1725 radiator.

Depth of the neck is 1 13/64 if I am correct The 10228 is a 7lb and may be perfect for you.Radiator Caps   20170216_131426.jpg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I installed a Gates 31526 cap on my stock series V radiator last summer. It is for a 0.75" filler neck depth. Stant 10228 mentioned by Dan is for the same filler neck depth.

Measure the filler neck depth on your radiator to confirm the cap you need.

Mike

Last edited:

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Also, my radiator doesn't allow for the cap to spin all the way around. It binds on the sheet metal. I am thinking of just grinding the spot down.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rock, You will find what I believe a lot of the Alpines have a very tight clearance around the radiator cap area. Most likely the radiator slots that secure the radiator to the bulkhead have worn a bit allowing it to drop down enough to cause your problem. I found it necessary to 'lift" the radiator to the highest point I can before I tighten the (4) bolts.

65beam

Donation Time
I installed a Gates 31526 cap on my stock series V radiator last summer. It is for a 0.75" filler neck depth. Stant 10228 mentioned by Dan is for the same filler neck depth.

Measure the filler neck depth on your radiator to confirm the cap you need.

Mike
Mike is right about the Gates cap. I have two new series 5 caps bought from SS and they are the Gates 31526. They're 9lb caps.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike is right about the Gates cap. I have two new series 5 caps bought from SS and they are the Gates 31526. They're 9lb caps.

Bob,

Did you mean to say the 31526 cap is 7 lbs instead of 9 lbs? I bought the Gates 31526 cap because I wanted to drop down from a 9 lbs cap to a 7 lbs cap. The 31526 cap is marked as 7 lbs.
upload_2019-9-20_9-42-52.png

Here are the product details from gates.com:
upload_2019-9-20_9-40-34.png

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
The ones I bought from SS say 9 lb on the cap. They're in the correct Gates box. Maybe a California thing or I need to get different glasses.???? Maybe for a Tiger?

65beam

Donation Time
If you're using the square tank with the pressure relief valve on the top of the tank along with the radiator for a series 2 you don't use a pressure cap. The correct cap only seals the fill opening and over flow is controlled by the valve on the tank. The extra 2 lbs of the 9 lb cap must not mean much or Rick wouldn't sell them to Alpine owners.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
For later series Alpines, I thought some folks have indicated that 9 lbs is more likely to make the stock heater core bulge out its sides, which can make it really hard to remove. Apparently 7 lbs is enough of a reduction to avoid the heater core bulging issue. I don't think it makes much of a difference in cooling capacity.

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
I've seen the problem with the heater core bulging if owners used a cap rated at higher pressure such as a 13lb.. The parts stores and owners saw that the higher pressure cap would fit so they used it. I've seen several Alpines out there that have a high pressure cap in use. I noticed a couple at this years United. The problem with the bulging core has been corrected if you buy one of the new cores being sold today. The ends have ribs stamped in them. I have the new core installed in three of our cars.

bkasl

Donation Time
What would be recommended for a S2 cap? Mine is a 7lb and thought it was a Slant, need to replace and want to make sure the depth is ok, no # on cap

Rockonp04

Donation Time
Yea, I went through a couple. Some would be the right fit but would hit on the body. I think I bought 4 before I got the perfect one. I think I bought the
STANT 10228 from Rockauto.

65beam

Donation Time
If your series 2 has the over flow tank with the brass relief valve on the right side you do not use a pressure cap. The cap is strictly for keeping the system sealed. It's not your typical pressure cap. The pressure relief valve does all of that work. If you have a tank without the relief valve then you use a pressure cap. The correct cap is available from Sunbeam Specialties and I would assume Classic has them also. 110_0722.JPG This car has the correct cap from SS.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hecho en Mexico ..... printed on most of them gags me.... Seen some that are not marked that way. One made by Murray, who follows the AMF business model except they do not make Harley's, bowling balls or sailboats made out of stryofoam. I can't what fits exactly on your Alpine I'd say refer back to Dan's posting. I like the Mustang ones that are chromed .

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
If the tank is like the one in the photo of my car then the SS part number is RC 2 at a cost of $9.50. Their catalog states "no pressure relief valve".

bkasl

Donation Time
I confirmed what I have now is the Stant 10206, seems to work fine at 7psi, not sure if minute difference between the 10228 and 10206 is worth noting