• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

How do Identify the rear end gear ratio in my 67 series V

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
Jack the rear wheels off the ground. Spin the rear wheel one revolution and count the number of revolutions the drive shaft spins. Using a chalk mark on the driveshaft makes it easier. The number of driveshaft revolutions is your ratio.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Follow Wayne67's suggestion BUT, note: the ratio will be either 4.21 or 3.89, both numbers are close to 4 so it's just a bit tricky. I recommend putting a chalk mark on the tire and on the drive shaft, then rotate the tire precisely 1 rotation, and watch which way the shaft turns (depends on which way you rotate the tire, of course) Look at the chalk mark on the driveshaft and you will see it will not come back to the starting point. If t it comes up almost a quarter turn past the original starting point, that's a 4.21 axle. If it comes up a little short of the starting point, it's a 3.89.

Tom

ALC 68A

Donation Time
How do identify the rear end gear ratio in my 67 series V without tearing into it?
As original, non overdrive Series V cars had the 3.89:1 differential and overdrive cars had the 4.22:1. It is possible that whichever is the correct one for your car, it could have been swapped for the other (or even a diff from some other car in the Rootes range), but if so the speedometer would read incorrectly. If it doesn't, then you probably have the correct one, but worth carrying out the check anyway.

65beam

Donation Time
As original, non overdrive Series V cars had the 3.89:1 differential and overdrive cars had the 4.22:1. It is possible that whichever is the correct one for your car, it could have been swapped for the other (or even a diff from some other car in the Rootes range), but if so the speedometer would read incorrectly. If it doesn't, then you probably have the correct one, but worth carrying out the check anyway.
The series 5 Alpines that came to the states had 4:22 gears as standard. That includes non over drive cars. This is stated on the many pieces of dealer literature that I have. The mix of the two ratios was used on series 1 thru 4. If you ordered a car you might have been able to get the 3:89.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you ordered a car you might have been able to get the 3:89.
If anyone, I think the dealer would install it. Could one actually order a car...from the UK or the US Rootes importer? I never really thought about it.
Jan

65beam

Donation Time
If anyone, I think the dealer would install it. Could one actually order a car...from the UK or the US Rootes importer? I never really thought about it.
Jan
Tiger Tom had a series 4 GT that was a special ordered car but that was prior to the Chrysler days. Wally Swift said that under Chrysler generic cars came into the states and the master distributor sold them to sub dealers. Options were installed by dealers. It would probably have been expensive to have a dealer install a 3:89.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
When my older brother purchased a used Series I in 1965, it had no heater motor (an option?). He had one installed at Lewis Auto sales here in Dayton. I actually have the original service bill that my brother received.......I also have that series I still.
Oh, the original 1500 was replaced with a dealer supplied 1600 short block (no serial numbers) when he purchased it. Just as well...
Jan

Last edited:

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The series 5 Alpines that came to the states had 4:22 gears as standard. That includes non over drive cars. This is stated on the many pieces of dealer literature that I have. The mix of the two ratios was used on series 1 thru 4. If you ordered a car you might have been able to get the 3:89.
Oh sorry - I didn't know that the US spec was different from the UK spec. Live and learn!

It seems odd to standardise on the 4.22 ratio in the US, since that gives increased engine revs at highway speeds, especially on a non O/D car. Perhaps, under US marketing conditions, Rootes considered acceleration times to be more important than maximum speeds.

In the UK, we tend to think that US driving conditions are all long distance highways at high speed. A legacy of watching films like Vanishing Point perhaps! In reality, I suspect that in period, Alpines were more likely to have been bought by town and city owners, often as second cars, to whom speed was less important than acceleration.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
ALC68A, in the 60's in the US, acceleration was the focus. 0-60 times were often the first performance spec. And as you note, most sports car buyers were not thinking about long distance trips, but cruising around town, drive-ins, etc. More like American Graffiti (great movie) than Vanishing Point.

Tom

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Some places had Interstates where they stopped on the on ramp if they felt they could not merge. Some on ramps also had stop signs like leaving downtown LA going into Pasadena, hated those in a VW Bus ;)

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The M25 around London is the nearest in the UK to a US style highway. There is at least one junction that has a traffic light at the end of the on slip to regulate joining traffic during rush hours.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so I have an old rear that I pulled out of a non-overdrive Series V or IV back about 25 years ago, and I tried to determine the ratio using the 'turn the wheel one revolution and count the pinion revolutions' method. Linked below is my video of doing this. The pinion only turned about 2.10 or so turns with one turn of the brake drum. Hmm... any thoughts on what the ratio might be? Seems to me, given you're only turning ONE wheel that the wheel should be turned not one, but two times, since the other is not being turned, in order to get the proper ratio. Correct?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, you have a 4.21 axle. DUH, I KNEW there was a reason I suggested 2 turns of the wheel and now I remember why. It's a differential. Ya gotta turn BOTH wheels 1 turn - or one wheel 2 turns - to get the shaft to turn 3.89 or 4.21 turns.

Tom

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Per the factory parts manual: SV's had 4.22's standard, but only thru VIN ...10312. The rest were 3.89's, roughly 46% of SV production.

Last edited: