• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Map pocket

Limey

Donation Time
Hi, Does any one have the unobtainium map pocket Rootes accessory ?

Best regards

Oliver

Limey

Donation Time
Here's photo of the map pocket complete with old maps from a totally unrestored early series at the 2012 National. Those were the days when hubby drove, the wife navigated and they both argued:rolleyes: Check out the original floor mats
P1000684.JPG

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lovely. Never seen that. That must have been in the old ages before dreaded Navis flooded the market ;)

Any clues how it got fixed to the tunnel ? Screws ?

Limey

Donation Time
Lovely. Never seen that. That must have been in the old ages before dreaded Navis flooded the market ;)

Any clues how it got fixed to the tunnel ? Screws ?

Hi Bernd,
I think so
I'll need to have a closer look. I only re-found these shots today

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Checked the early Series Rootes accessory flyer but a map pocket is not listed. Would assume this being offered by a 3rd party...

alpine_64

Donation Time
That is an interesting option...never seen a photo ( real or brochure) of it before. I guess with Harringtons they had the optional pockets on the door cards but this is interesting.

65beam

Donation Time
Back in the day AMCO made items like this as did MG Mitten and several other companies. Auto World in Scranton, Pa had a full line of items like this listed.. Every K Mart and other big box stores had similar items . Similar items are still available

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks All
I thought it was Rootes as it matched the original carpets
Something rang a strong bell that made me think it was an accessory
I’d better dig out my brochures this weekend

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just checked my original Rootes accessory parts bulletin from the early sixties as well but no such thing as "Map Pocket" listed...

Limey

Donation Time
I think you are probably right. I’ll have a look just so that I can be sure I’m wrong

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Don't wanna prove you wrong but that bulletin is really comprehensive and also covers other Rootes cars such as the Singers, Hillman Minxes and Humbers, etc.
On the other hand there were always surprises with Rootes cars...

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd,
Being proved wrong is a step towards knowledge so I am happy to be corrected. Thanks for the info. I'm just worried that I'm imagining accessories that don't existo_O

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
We all still learn about the hidden secrets of our Rootes cars. That's the interesting part for me and I'm happy to join the community to exchange views accordingly. All the STD things have been discussed many times so now it's time to elaborate on the "specials". It's a pity that not more people "in the know" participate here ...

P.S. I know that they are out there:rolleyes:

ALC 68A

Donation Time
From the Parts List:

2214858 ........ Map Pocket Kit - Lake Blue
2207887 ........ Map Pocket Kit - Scarlet
2207888 ........ Map Pocket Kit - Black

All shown as "No Longer available" by my copy of the 5th issue of the list. The names correspond with those given to the colours of the Vynide seat trims on the Series I/II. From the parts numbers, it looks as if red and black were the original colours, with the Lake Blue introduced when that trim appeared on the Series II. Since there are no pockets listed with the later trim colour names, presumably the option was dropped at or before the introduction of the Series 3.

I wonder whether the carpet covered pocket fixed to the gearbox tunnel in Oliver's earlier photo is an original part, or a previous owner's modification? It looks awkward there and would get in the way of a passenger's legs. A more usual location on 1960's cars, was on the lower passenger side foot well trim panel, often at a 45° slant to stop the contents falling out. I had a Triumph Vitesse (Sports 6 in the USA) with a pocket there.

Limey

Donation Time
Thank you ALC 68A!!! I was starting to doubt myself. I just could not remember where I had seen them referenced

When I photographed this car the owners had just bought it off the very old Guy who had owned it from new and in all likelihood these were probably fitted either when new or pretty soon after purchase like most period extras.

Oliver

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Oliver - Perhaps it is an original item then, but it still looks a bit "Heath Robinson" to me - especially that loose Furflex edging. I initially thought that as the pocket colours matched the seat trim colours, then the pockets would be vinyl covered, not carpet covered and that therefore this couldn't be an original one. However, further checking of the Parts List shows Rootes gave the same names to the carpet and vinyl trim colours on the I/II, so no proof either way.

Limey

Donation Time
Thanks,

I remember that it flexed and was flocked inside so I would say it is made similarly to the glove box. As a low cost accessory it probably was a bit 'economy' in manufacture

Oliver

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Basically cardboard then! All we need is for someone to find it illustrated in a Series I/II accessory brochure.