• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II Alpine V6 Tire Recommendations

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Anybody have a recommendation for the best tires to run on my Series II Alpine 2.8 V6 with standard OEM 13" steel wheels? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "standard OEM 13" steel wheels" on a S-II Alpine are only 4" wide.

I suggest that you go to https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sizes/results.jsp?diameter=13 (or another equivalent website) and examine the specifications for the available 13" tires. In particular, note the minimum rim width.

AFAIK, the only "commonly available" 13" passenger radial tire size that meets the tire makers recommendations for 13x4 wheels is a 155/80-13.

If you choose to ignore the tire makers recommendations for rim width, there are lots of possibilities; anything up to about a 195 section width should physically fit under the fenders.

For liability reasons, many tire shops will no longer mount tires on wheels that do not meet the tire makers recommendations.

Your car and your choice.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick,

Note that "standard OEM 13" steel wheels" on a S-V Alpine are 4-1/2" wide. That additional 1/2" of wheel width does not sound like much, but it greatly expands the choice of 13" tires. Depending on the specific tire size and tire maker, a 175 or 185 mm section width tire is usually acceptable on 13x4-1/2" wheels.

IMO, a good 175/70-13 or 185/70-13 tire on the 13x4-1/2" S-V wheels should work well and still retain the "factory" look.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry:

My car (recently purchased) currently has 185/70/13 tires. It is a bear to turn the steering wheel when parked or even when moving slowly. I was wondering if a 165/80/13 would be easier to steer without losing too much of the original look.

Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If such a bear to turn, why not try my Electric Power Steering (EPS) for your Alpine and enjoy turning the wheel easily?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry:

My car (recently purchased) currently has 185/70/13 tires. It is a bear to turn the steering wheel when parked or even when moving slowly. I was wondering if a 165/80/13 would be easier to steer without losing too much of the original look.

Rick

Hope it works out for you.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If you go to after market rims you can get better tires and off-set to make the steering easier. I have owned my series 2 for over 42 years and started with stock 13's until I could not find good tires, so I went to 14's until I could not find good tires, I am now at 15's just to get good tires.

65beam

Donation Time
I have 13X 6 inch VTO wheels with 175/70 tires on this LeMans. Everything seems fine and in my opinion it looks good.110_0724.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
Great looking car. Does it steer easily?
Rick[/QUOTE
Everything is either new or rebuilt so it's tight which makes turning the wheels tough when not moving but seems OK on the road. The car has covered 35 miles so far which means I haven't driven it much. It's ready to go to Pittsburgh for the British show on Saturday, Rally For The Ranch show in Columbus on the 27th, Dayton 8/10 and the TE/AE United in August.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have never seen a stock Series Alpine that was not hard to turn when parked or at slow speeds. Wider wheels / tires aggravate the situation, but it is mostly a function of the very large positive steering scrub radius of the 1945 Rootes suspension design.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK so I was able to locate a set of Alpine steel rims that are 13" X 5" wide. I think these rims will give me a lot of choices in tire sizes, yes?

Rick

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK so I was able to locate a set of Alpine steel rims that are 13" X 5" wide. I think these rims will give me a lot of choices in tire sizes, yes?

Rick

I am not aware of any Series Alpine steel wheels that are 5" wide.

What is the source of the wheels and how are you measuring the width?

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Barry.

I don't physically have the wheels in my possession but the seller says he measured the rims outside to outside so they are likely 4 1/2" rims. The picture he sent me shows the elongated 8 slots, the 4 bolt Alpine pattern with a P185/80R13 tire mounted.

Rick

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Barry.

I don't physically have the wheels in my possession but the seller says he measured the rims outside to outside so they are likely 4 1/2" rims. The picture he sent me shows the elongated 8 slots, the 4 bolt Alpine pattern with a P185/80R13 tire mounted.

Rick

Inside to outside of a steel (or alloy) passenger wheel bead flange is about 1/2". If the outside to outside measurement is 5", I think you purchased a set of 4" wide wheels.

Last edited:

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here's some stock steelie's for sale .. he might have the caps and trim rings?.... You could have the inners removed and reset into wider outers , just a matter of finding the right outers. Pico wheel in the S.F. Valley in Cali trued and welded a set of wider outers I put over a set of 16's inners for me on another project. ... just an option!

..... David

https://www.sunbeamclub.com/forum/b...-one-15x6-4-lug-108mm-wheel-for-alpine.69040/
Thanks for the info David.
Rick