• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Thermostat housing removal 1725

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series V with 1725. I suspect the gasket (170) on my thermostat housing (169) might be leaking, or maybe the housing has developed a crack. My bypass hose also needs to be replaced. Do I need to remove the water pump in order to remove the thermostat housing? It appears the thermostat housing won't clear the head attachment studs without removing the water pump.

Alpine Capture 030 thermostat housing.JPG

Thanks,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, in the picture that has the numbers 169 and 170, you can see a hole for mounting/fastening the housing. I have two of the housing that have corrison just a bit above the holes about 1/2 to 3/4" where the metal was very thin. The corrosion ate thru in that location on two of the housing.

Can't remember if I had to remove the water pump! May have to, in order to get the by pass hose to fit really well?

Fergusonic

Donation Time
You also may find that it is difficult to remove the housing from the studs #119 and #120 ; especially the longer #120s as they may have some corrosion. I had to remove the studs to be able to carefully remove the housing as one of the #120s was stuck. Looks like it would be easy to break the housing in the thin areas.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bradly is right on about the corrison around the studs. I have broken a couple over the years trying to remove the housing.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
To answer Mike's question: If I recall correctly you cant get the thermostat housing off without removing the water pump because it won't clear. Again, if I recall correctly, once I got the whole shooting match off, I replaced those stupid studs and nuts with socket head bolts and ground a notches in the water pump cover to be able to get a hex wrench on the bolts and take the various parts off individually.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
seeing this thread title already exists, I won't start another one with the same name.

But I was hoping for some experienced info about any secrets to success.

I recently attempted to get one off a loose head and finally got it off...

but the thermostat housing was not reusable (understatement of the day).

I tried to get it off with an Oxyacetylene torch but ran out of patience.

I ended up melting the housing off the long studs.

I just pulled 3 heads out of storage that need the thermostat housings removed.

Has Anyone got that process down to a science?

DW

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
The housing, which is aluminum seizes on the steel studs and after time is impossible to remove
even with heat. They'll come loose, but you won't be able to reuse it.

If you don't remove the head, the water pump has to come off as at least one of the lower nuts on the
housing is blocked by the pump.
Just to let everyone know, the new housings seem to be a hit or miss proposition. I had a customer
buy a new one only to find that the two long tubes that the long studs go through wasn't drilled straight
and would not even reach the head for a seal. If you go the new route make sure you do a trial fit.
This housing may have been an anomaly but beware and verify fit.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Din't recall exactly what I did when rebuilding the 1725 for my Blue Boy (before the V6), but I think I used an anti-seize compound because of the different metals (steel bolts and aluminum housing)

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
seeing I have 3 "Ginny pigs" to test with, my current thinking

is to drill holes along side the longs studs to get some

penetrating Stuff in there to soak.

...I'll call it PLAN A ...

DW

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hate to say it, but that is about all they will be (Ginny pigs).

I have often wondered "why" the housing was moulded so thin in that area, almost no support...

I think this housing would be a good candidate for reproduction (maybe)?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
"I think this housing would be a good candidate for reproduction (maybe)?"
I do believe that the ones sold by CS & SS are repros. I think that's the reason I have
an issue with the one I have.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
seeing I have 3 "Ginny pigs" to test with, my current thinking

is to drill holes along side the longs studs to get some

penetrating Stuff in there to soak.

...I'll call it PLAN A ...

DW

Maybe a soak in distilled white vinegar might be of some value in your case?

Mike