• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

now pretty

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I live in Ohio and have not had a front license plate on since restoration in 1988 and no one has ever stopped me or questioned me about it. The car has only been on the road in Ohio an average of about 8 times per year. The rest of the 24,000 miles I'v put on it were on cross-country road trips.

And the SV engine has a crank-style damper bolt.

Tom

65beam

Donation Time
I just talked to the local BMV office about the single plate. They have not been notified that there will be a change made in the near future. I guess the supply containing two plates is tremendous. They said others have asked the same question and as far as removing the front plate they have been told that if you have two plates and you remove the front plate and a cop writes you a ticket for a missing front plate you pay a fine. Situation normal! As far as the hand crank jaw I have several for sale if anyone wants to take a chance. Lots of watchers the last time on e bay but no one wants to pay the starting bid of $15.00. Or don't want to buy another harmonic balancer after the jaw works loose.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
My father in law was from VA. he told me that the the neighboring State police used to get everyone that had a front plate as they were transiting the area's speed trap and were an easy pick. The logic was plainly pick the cherries that won't show up to dispute the citation. You can always contest the ticket roll the dice that a cop will not show up in the court and off you go free, for lack of prosecution. Even that has become a racket for attorneys now they put up billboards and show up for you with the gamble that the cop won't show.

Then there's this, on a fix it ticket.
You must pay the required dismissal transaction fee ($25.00) for each violation and submit proof of correction. If the violation involves registration, insurance or driver's licenses, the court staff or DMV may verify and sign off the correction.

California rule . Yes we lead the country with BS fees.

Last edited:

Cali_59

Donation Time
I received a 124.00 ticket for no front plate In the SF Bay Are (Oakland, where there is 1 meter officer for every 5 citizens...they are ruthless).
I had to get a completely new set of plates from the DMV, which of course costs money.
now I have my front plate.. Society is safe again!

RootesRooter

Donation Time
When I bought my current SV in about 1983, WA state had almost dropped the requirement for a front plate, so I didn't put one on. The state changed its mind and kept the requirement. I've conservatively put at least 175,000 on the Alpine and accumulated about six tickets. Not once has an officer even mentioned the lack of a front plate. And that includes the time I was pulled over for not having an outside mirror.