• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

HLM rear light units

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Could get a hold of a pair of HLM rear light units plus a selection of lenses. There are no markings on the pot metal bases. Wonder where they actually came from. Can not believe that Harrington's actually casted them. Furthermore they appear to wear seacrest green. Were they painted in car colour ?

IMG_20190514_204859.jpg IMG_20190514_204958.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
I have a set painted white and have been told they were used on one model of Lotus. I don't remember which model. Maybe 65sunbeam knows since he has a few Lotus. I bought them many years ago. Light units including the reflector are the same as an HLM.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Good hint. Looks like the Elan S1 used the same rear light units. However couldn't find any car yet to have the same kind of pot metal carrier. If your white is actually Moonstone then the probability is high that they were painted in car colour...

65beam

Donation Time
Not sure what color they're painted other than white. I found them at The Carlisle Import Festival several years ago. The seller had no idea what they came from so I bought them just to have the light units. I have a complete NOS set of the lights and reflectors in the original Lucas boxes and the boxes have Rootes parts number tags. Bought them somewhere back in the mid 80's

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Lucky you. Especially the reflectors in good condition have become pretty scarce. In the early eighties I was still dreaming to own a Sunbeam one day :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
Lucky you. Especially the reflectors in good condition have become pretty scarce. In the early eighties I was still dreaming to own a Sunbeam one day :rolleyes:
I can't remember how many Beams I had by the early 80's. There were a couple that gave me nightmares. At that time there were a lot of parts still around and the price was right. If we ran across something for one of the cars and the price was right and we had the money we bought. One of my best buys was with a friend in Kentucky when he had the chance to buy all the parts from a dealer in W. Va. He took the Mopar parts and I took all the import stuff. I still have a bunch of Simca parts. FYI, The series 4 has been around since the 60's.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have three sets. One set came with my original HLM. A high quality (NOS?) set will go on my Lyrad (progress thumbnails). One set for spares. The Seacrest Green is the same as my #41 and Steve Alcala's #43 12 hour Sebring Alpines. Very rare color I believe there are only 19 registered Series I and IIs with Code 30 Seacrest Green. Lord Rootes used it for the 1959 Sunbeam prototype. It was also used on the 1961 Le Mans Thermal Efficiency winner.
Bernd, I'm getting close to putting together another trip for a visit to European Sunbeam friends. Maybe next year at the Coventry spares meet and a special side-trip to Stuttgart.
Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 15

65beam

Donation Time
I have three sets. One set came with my original HLM. A high quality (NOS?) set will go on my Lyrad (progress thumbnails). One set for spares. The Seacrest Green is the same as my #41 and Steve Alcala's #43 12 hour Sebring Alpines. Very rare color I believe there are only 19 registered Series I and IIs with Code 30 Seacrest Green. Lord Rootes used it for the 1959 Sunbeam prototype. It was also used on the 1961 Le Mans Thermal Efficiency winner.
Bernd, I'm getting close to putting together another trip for a visit to European Sunbeam friends. Maybe next year at the Coventry spares meet and a special side-trip to Stuttgart.
Jerry
While roaming the vendors at the Carlisle Import today I found several vendors selling reproductions and NOS versions of these light units. I bought a couple NOS reflector units from one. He wasn't sure what car they fit but the price was right. I talked to one person today that said the pot metal mounting was a Lotus item.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Jerry,

great to hear from you. I see you made progress again with the Lyrad.
The UK Spares day has moved from Coventry to Wroxton, i.e. the same site as the new Rootes archive. Have just been there on the last weekend. Rather unique experience to sit on the old Rootes board members oak table while watching the Spares dealers :rolleyes:. Got a few scarce bits . Let me know once your plans to visit EU become more clear. Needless to stress but you are always welcome to stay at our house in Stuttgart...

P.S. Pls. see some pictures here: https://www.sunbeamalpineowners.club/news.html

Last edited: