• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

now pretty

cuppy65

Donation Time
Three different parts cars , not pretty , yet?

Attachments

• 20190418_161545.jpg
    20190418_161545.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

cuppy65

Donation Time
Does anyone have a good head on photo of these cars without the bumper and showing the lower valance . I know I don't have it quite right.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
First one's my 62' ... the other two are stock google search images and the last is self explanatory ... looks to be some differences.. maybe trimmed? ... mine hasn't been touched. ... Hope this helps. ... Yours is taking shape nicely! 62 finished 003.JPG 777.JPG 1808_p64_l.jpg SrPtA.jpg

cuppy65

Donation Time
Thanks everyone . I see the problem with mine now. Boy would I have loved to have that piece in the last picture!

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hand crank. Since I was never going to hand crank the engine, I had mine filled in. Now I would have just left it alone. Maybe it would hand crank?

65beam

Donation Time
The crank was included thru the series 4. Series 5 sold in the U.S. did not have the hand crank.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
So, are you saying; The series 5 was set up for the crank along with the cranking Nut and the crank was not furnished? I think both of my series 5s had a hand crank. Hmmm..... Cost saving?

65beam

Donation Time
The series 5's sold in the states had a bolt holding the harmonic balancer instead of the unit needed for the crank.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
My series 5 has the special hand crank nut. VIN 6147 (LRX). Series Vs sent to non-North America regions had the hand crank. Greg D says his series V has the special hand crank nut, too. Anyone else with series Vs have the special hand crank nut?

upload_2019-4-20_18-4-7.png

upload_2019-4-20_18-7-3.png

Mike

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, my SV has it. When new it was sold to a US Air Force officer by the 'base agent' in Reykjavik, Iceland. So although it was designated as a US spec vehicle, it clearly had some non-US content.

In terms of options it also had the very rare Rootes rear seats, as well as OD, visors, ammeter, clock, wheel trim rings, tonneau, Kangol seat belts, and FIAMM air horns (the latter two were likely added by the agent, not the factory).

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
It's really handy for turning the engine over when adjusting the valves. Put Loctite on it if you are worried about it coming loose.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A buddy in the West coast center of the Sunbeam universe just got a front valence from Jeff Hayworth. He's really happy.
Oh and I grounded my license plate for the last time. It's in the trunk too.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim for the LINK.... Very interesting article. Notice the law wants the front tag so they can find a reason to stop you.....YUCK!

alpine_64

Donation Time
There is 1 good reason for a UK style fromt plate and bracket as used on early series cars, they actually act as a front splitter, holding the front end down at speeed and increasing stability and top speed. The Lemans alpines ran with them in practice but were forced to remove them for safety grounds before the race, they lost some top speeed and stability as a result