• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine V Mod... Dropped in an 285 HP S2K

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
All you guys you say that DOHC fours are too tall to fit into an Alpine, check out picture four of ten.

Bill

ryanneptune

Donation Time
That's pretty dang spiffy. Weight comparison between engines? How much creative wiring/ECU work was there to do?
I’d say they weigh nearly the same did not notice and suspension drop that is... just built a new harness to adapt to the original harness worked great was able to get all the original gauges operating off the computer with adapters and converters

ryanneptune

Donation Time
any pics of the header mods to make it crossover
I had less than 3/32 clearance any direction in order to keep ideal flow rate and not modify the steering tried ram horn style first but did not like the look but I did come up with a polished ram configuration I might do this winter entire exhaust is SS

Attachments

• A6A50F0C-9863-4A5D-BC0E-0849F1039F0F.jpeg
    A6A50F0C-9863-4A5D-BC0E-0849F1039F0F.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 964839E6-1A90-4EE2-9D0A-E54E047633AC.jpeg
    964839E6-1A90-4EE2-9D0A-E54E047633AC.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 75

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Few more picts
Ryanneptune, I am envious of your shop...and I have a nice heat/AC shop behind my house. Before my move into town I sold my MIG, Milling machine, drill press and many of the heavy things I thought I would never need, after all, I am 75. Now with a 225 Amp Lincoln AC/DC stick-welder, cutting torch/bottles, new drill press, etc. I really miss my band saw, mill, metal shear/brake, and MIG...and Bill Blue told me I would. Oh well, I am back to building the way I started and just found a fabrication shop to build me a 3" drop pan for my fuel cell in the trunk. As I am sure you know, it is the "little" things that need fabrication that slow us down with a build. In the past I had sheet metal of different sizes, scrap metal plate, box tubing, etc. and a dozen ways to shape them and glue them in place. Now, I must use what I have making it work, and my brain ain't what it once was. For me, solving problems is one of the best parts of building...so let the fun begin...old school!

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Nice job! I was going to go that route, but decided to modify the S2000 body to make it work and have all the luxury modern comfort features and a Power Rectractable Top.
I like what you did.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I’d say they weigh nearly the same did not notice and suspension drop that is... just built a new harness to adapt to the original harness worked great was able to get all the original gauges operating off the computer with adapters and converters
I think we're going to need a little write-up on this! After you're done, of course... Looks like it was meant to go in there.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Great job! I have read several times where people doing swaps using this engine were "forced" to transplant the Honda dash, because it was the only way they could get functioning instruments. You may be able to market what you have figured out.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the ground clearance at the lowest point?

Like the shifter mod too! Neat:)

ryanneptune

Donation Time
That's pretty dang spiffy. Weight comparison between engines? How much creative wiring/ECU work was there to do?

Not sure what you are asking but there is nothing including the exhaust that is even close to as low as the original body frame, tunnels, arm or back axel I tucked everything up higher

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Ryanneptune, I am envious of your shop...and I have a nice heat/AC shop behind my house. Before my move into town I sold my MIG, Milling machine, drill press and many of the heavy things I thought I would never need, after all, I am 75. Now with a 225 Amp Lincoln AC/DC stick-welder, cutting torch/bottles, new drill press, etc. I really miss my band saw, mill, metal shear/brake, and MIG...and Bill Blue told me I would. Oh well, I am back to building the way I started and just found a fabrication shop to build me a 3" drop pan for my fuel cell in the trunk. As I am sure you know, it is the "little" things that need fabrication that slow us down with a build. In the past I had sheet metal of different sizes, scrap metal plate, box tubing, etc. and a dozen ways to shape them and glue them in place. Now, I must use what I have making it work, and my brain ain't what it once was. For me, solving problems is one of the best parts of building...so let the fun begin...old school!
I feel blessed my shop is around 3000 square feet and kids and I have a lot of fun building weird stuff...

ryanneptune

Donation Time

Thank you....Shifter mod was a tad more ghetto than I’d usually do on something was not meant to be permanent it’s just some stainless I had laying around and plan to make it a bit more ergonomic and retro, just less stale so to speak

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Great job! I have read several times where people doing swaps using this engine were "forced" to transplant the Honda dash, because it was the only way they could get functioning instruments. You may be able to market what you have figured out.
Would be wicked easier next time for sure but to be honest this was only several days of configuration to make it all work... but even then it does not make sense anyone would transplant another dash that’s just laziness heck the whole car runs off my iPhone right now (Bluetooth mind you) as a backup to certify all my gushes reading perfectly... My Dad would roll over in his grave if I modified the car... did my best to keep it totally original with only the tiniest of mods all reversible with the right skill... I have kept and am preserving all the original parts... my Parents had the 67 when they were first married, my Dad opted out of the Tiger specifically because of James Bond and the spokes.... he kicked himself for the last 50 years on that decision for sure... these cars have real history with me and wanted to make it as sleeper as I could get and make him proud ...but holy crap I would of never guessed the feeling of power like this in a car...

ryanneptune

Donation Time
I think we're going to need a little write-up on this! After you're done, of course... Looks like it was meant to go in there.
Im just a stupid snowboarder with a couple of awesome 17 year old kids who were dying to see me do it in memory of their Papa

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Any reason to build a car is a good one...but yours is special...both the car and the reason to build it. I just installed my fuel cell in the trunk and repaired the seat tracks. Again, the little things slow us down.

Attachments

• IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    713.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    668.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2097.JPG
    IMG_2097.JPG
    575.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    716.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 83

ryanneptune

Donation Time
Any reason to build a car is a good one...but yours is special...both the car and the reason to build it. I just installed my fuel cell in the trunk and repaired the seat tracks. Again, the little things slow us down.
That’s awesome... For sure... I’m lucky to have kids that “seem” to
Love me, the car and my Dads love for the sunbeam! Super fun teaching them to tig and fab and lucky to have a shop second to none... never thought they’d love the car like my Dad did but they are stoked to be keeping it clean as if the way it was born just sleeper style... this car has never even witnessed rain and totally rust free, we crated up all the og parts... not like they will ever see the light of day given the hp we now have...lol

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I just realized how bad my Beam floor looks, but I learned a long time ago to do as much cutting as possible before taking things down to bare metal. When serious welding begins, do it on clean material then seal it. I once helped a buddy strip a floor of his Hot Rod, then we had to cut it out to make a new one. Naturally, you never did such a dumb thing. Do you know how long it takes to strip rust from a 2-door sedan Ford floor? At least I learned to be certain it will be used before making it look nice and shiney! The wood 2x6 and 2x4's under the Beam are for making my TILT to flip the body on its side. Motor and rebuild parts are on-hand ready to build, tires/wheels also but need windshield and most rubber. Will start buying those after I sell my car-hauler trailer. I promised the wife of 52 years I would not take $$$ from the house funds, and after getting ripped-off for 11 grand by contractors, my Beam fund is depleted. Back when building cars for a living I would just sell a few "special" parts I had stashed. Now, at least I have 2 cars to build one from. Keep those kids happy and you will be also. It just seems to work that way.

ryanneptune

Donation Time
I just realized how bad my Beam floor looks, but I learned a long time ago to do as much cutting as possible before taking things down to bare metal. When serious welding begins, do it on clean material then seal it. I once helped a buddy strip a floor of his Hot Rod, then we had to cut it out to make a new one. Naturally, you never did such a dumb thing. Do you know how long it takes to strip rust from a 2-door sedan Ford floor? At least I learned to be certain it will be used before making it look nice and shiney! The wood 2x6 and 2x4's under the Beam are for making my TILT to flip the body on its side. Motor and rebuild parts are on-hand ready to build, tires/wheels also but need windshield and most rubber. Will start buying those after I sell my car-hauler trailer. I promised the wife of 52 years I would not take $$$ from the house funds, and after getting ripped-off for 11 grand by contractors, my Beam fund is depleted. Back when building cars for a living I would just sell a few "special" parts I had stashed. Now, at least I have 2 cars to build one from. Keep those kids happy and you will be also. It just seems to work that way.
Not sure what you are asking on stripping the Ford floor...

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Sorry! Looking under the trunk floor of my Beam you see 2x6 and 2x4's...which are for making my TILT to turn the Sunbeam on its side. The Ford floor I mentioned was one I helped a buddy strip...then he had to cut it out and replace it. Lots of work for nothing.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
It is hard to tell from the picture showing your radiator. But here is a lesson from the Tiger world. ALL the holes around and under the radiator need to be blocked off, so that the air has nowhere to go but through the radiator. This includes the holes on the sides for the horn and making a plate that closes off the bottom under the radiator - so the air that goes through the lower holes goes up to the radiator. I know you said you are not having cooling issues. Maybe you already did this. Maybe you just haven't had a long hot day of driving. Maybe your fan is working overtime and would appreciate the help.

BTW, here is our S2000 engined car, full Mugen equip:

S2K Front.jpg