• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

RHD LeMans

65beam

Donation Time
Leaving Tiger Auto on Saturday. It needed door and window adjustments after weather strip install. He spent several weeks fine tuning the body and chassis.110_0401.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0400.JPG
    110_0400.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 15

65beam

Donation Time
The RHD is now wearing it's new wheels and tires and it's door panels.110_0417.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0418.JPG
    110_0418.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 22

65beam

Donation Time
Doug removed the grill and painted the grill opening the shade of black that he's used forever on Tigers and later series Alpines. There is also a custom hand made lower grill finisher for the egg crate grill that gives it a finished look.. He made it using a door moulding for a MK 1 Tiger. It now has Tiger spec rear springs and Tiger moulding on it.110_0387.JPG

napa 1

Donation Time
Hey Bob. Car is looking great!!! Would you mind posting a few close up pics of the lower grill finisher. I think that's a good idea as it doesn't really look finished without something on the bottom. Might try to fabricate something for mine. Thanks.

65beam

Donation Time
Hey Bob. Car is looking great!!! Would you mind posting a few close up pics of the lower grill finisher. I think that's a good idea as it doesn't really look finished without something on the bottom. Might try to fabricate something for mine. Thanks.
I'll try to take a photo this weekend. Doug @Tiger Auto tried a regular lower grill finisher from later series cars but it would have required cutting notches in the grill uprights for it to set under the uprights and just looked too large for this grill. I had the uprights cut down so it would set behind the eyebrow. He has Tiger side mouldings in stock so he "massaged" a door moulding until he had the curvature of the grill.

65beam

Donation Time
Photo of the lower grill finisher made using a Tiger door moulding. The black paint in the grill opening can also be seen.110_0549.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0548.JPG
    110_0548.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 15

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry to beer slightly OT here but ...
I heard that there is a way to retain the telescopic function with a aftermarket hub and wheel, know what that is? Particularly a Nardi but any aftermarket boss looses the tele function.

65beam

Donation Time
Sorry to beer slightly OT here but ...
I heard that there is a way to retain the telescopic function with a aftermarket hub and wheel, know what that is? Particularly a Nardi but any aftermarket boss looses the tele function.
Warren,
The Moto Lita B30 hub is for Tigers and Alpines with the adjustable column which has a different spline than the non adjustable. I have one on my series 4 but I never use the adjustable function so the hub is locked. It may be worth an e mail to them to ask if the adjustable function can be retained

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob, You said the adjustable and non adjustable splines are different. I have some of both "adj's and non adj's but can't find any difference in the ones I have. I have fitted different steering wheels on both types.

What are the differences you refer to?

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, You said the adjustable and non adjustable splines are different. I have some of both "adj's and non adj's but can't find any difference in the ones I have. I have fitted different steering wheels on both types.

What are the differences you refer to?
Dan,
I guess the splines are different. Don't know the count or size but according to my conversations with Moto Lita and Doug Jennings they are different. Check the Moto Lita site. There may be info.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The reason I was asking was to figure if it was "spline"difference you were referring to.

I have heard that was the difference before. But, I have two or three SI and II steering shafts that are the same as the four or five SIV and SV units.....

I have fitted the steering wheel (stock) to all of the shafts and can find not difference.

Basically the only difference I find is the length of the inner and outer columns, with the Early Series about 4 1/2" longer.

65beam

Donation Time
Dan,
There's a difference in the length of the hub and also a difference between the column surrounds. Where the directional switch sets on the column might also figure in on the difference of the hubs. The hub that was used on the Harringtons is different from what is available today. Other than that I'm not sure .

65beam

Donation Time
Lousy weather today so I stayed home and worked in the shop instead of making sales calls. Need to wire up a few things and install carb linkage, fuel line from pump and various odds and ends and then start it. The relief valve on the tank is an NOS piece that I've had for years and was waiting for a home.110_0613.JPG 110_0618.JPG

Attachments

• 110_0620.JPG
    110_0620.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 6

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Great job. Looks very original. Despite being period correct I would reconsider putting the coil next to the valve cover. I actually had some fail on my Series 1 in the same position because of nasty vibrations and lots of heat. Just my 2cents...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Beautiful attention to details in the engine compartment.

Must agree with Bern on the locating of Coil from the engine. Entirely too much vibration on most Alpine engines!