• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S2 Hard Top rear latch pins

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
My two pins that are on the S2 hard top and expand onto the combination trunk hinge are not long enough.
When extended, they barely engage in the holes, been that way since I owned the car in 1971, never cared much as the other four fastening points are fine.
Is it possible to have these pins lengthened by about 1/2" for better engagement?, or other ideas?
Thanks

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
My Series II hardtop pins extend about 3/4" beyond the bracket and overall length of the pin and handle is 4-1/4".

I hope this helps. They could be increased by welding a rod on the end, but would also need to be chrome plated.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have made some replacement pins for my hardtops out of stainless steel bolts.

Cut to the length I wanted, then grounded the end(s) to a point that matched the originals, then polished to a bright finish....

P.S. Didn't know for years that the pins were threaded and could be removed:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Dan are you pins for the s3-V tops? The early cars have a spring loaded plunger system.

Brent, with your top pins can you post a photo...there is adjustment in the side brackets, b posts and the screen.. Maybe the top is located a little far forward?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Michael, My reference is to the SIII, SIV &SV's.... My problem is I am not that familiar with the SI & II's. Learned something today:)

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just took the hard top back off
Had planned on a quick trip to Omaha this am for a car gathering with tonneau on but with a low of 42' and I-80 driving decided for warmth of hard top.
Will get it back on for some quick pics.
Don't see any way to adjust front to back as front clamps good and side bolts in line.
I wonder about extending the spring??

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Would adjusting the rake of the windshield push the top farther back? There are adjustment bolts available, or make-able.

65beam

Donation Time
How wide is the gap between the trunk lid and the trunk hinge panel? You may have to move the trunk and hinges. This closes up the gap and allows the pin to set farther into the hinge. You'll find that the hinge panel openings are oval. It's a time consuming adjustment. I'll be taking my green car to Tiger Auto in a few weeks for the same reason. My trunk seems to have moved back slightly with the pins not setting where they should and may be due to the weight of our EZ Up and other things carried on the luggage rack when we're on the road. As far as the windshield rake, check the gap between the window guides and the windshield frame. It should be consistent from the top of the guide to the top of the door. Two of my cars have roughly 1/2 inch gap110_0293.JPG . This will tell you if the windshield frame is set right.