• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII chrome surround and rubber gasket for gas tank inlet

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I am having fits attempting to fit the rubber grommet and chrome surround into the hole where the gas tank inlet pipe extends through the fender. Is there a tool for this? Has anyone done this successfully? I need some inovative ideas on this one. After attempting this sevteral times, trying not to scratch up my new paint job, I'm thinking that the chrome surround and the gasket must be fed into the fender simultaneously. Still, a difficult job as my filler pipe is not centered in the hole through the fender. Any suggestionbs will be greatly appreciated.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes I did it successfully on my SI at that time also with a new paint job. Hmm it was 25 years before. Let me try to remember:

Believe I put the rubber grommet onto the filler check first and once the tank was located I fiddled the grommet rubber lip onto fender lip using a small screw driver. Actually it helps if the grommet is very soft so some rubber grease or better dish washing liquid helps. Once the grommet /filler was in position I held the chrome trim ring close and fiddled the rubber lip with a screwdriver again over the inner ring opening. Quite time consuming but it worked...

greenbean

Donation Time
You know as I review this website, it is always interesting that "what-seem-to-be-such-simple-things-to-do-by-all-of-us" end up taking a bit of time. I too had a similar challenge on my windshield installation and the surrounding stainless steel pieces, very frustrating:(. I just wonder if all the Sunbeam factory workers are looking down from above and laughing at us all, because so many items to them were so simple --- I am sure (these "things" must have been easy at the factory, or a Alpine/Tiger would have had to cost so much more:eek:). But the nice thing is, that once you "get-it-done-finally" you feel good about yourself, share the knowledge and hope you never have to do it again --- to me that meant working under the dash, but oh well:p, I had to many a time as we all have!!!

alpine_64

Donation Time
Fitting the trim ring to the filler hole is a PITA .. Prepare for busted fingers and swearing. Have you got the original chrome part or repro one from europe. The original is easier to fit as it ha sa curved base.. The repro was squared off.

Iirc i fitted the grommet then placed the trim ring and used a very small svrew driver to slowly pry the lip of the seal over the top of the trim ring edge. It took ages.. Would pop off and slowly rotating the trim rimg helps.

I did this in 2004 and still remeber how angry i got in the process..... So be patient

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are a few little plastic tools available for putting glass in rubber moulds/gaskets that can be very helpful. They are smooth and have edges that vary in size and shape.... I have a couple that have been time savers for many years.

They also do not cut the rubber trim as easily as a screwdriver, etc....

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alpine 64 is right about the European aftermarket surround. Harder to install because grommet edge is flat, and I can say it will also rust
fairly quickly exposed to the elements.
I struggled w/ mine over a period of time using small screw drivers, plastic and cord and dishwash soap but finally got lucky.
Just not enough room to manipulate tools for it to be an easy job.
So, no tricks , just a six pack and patience.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Me thinks using "water & soap" will add to the potential rusting of our components such as mentioned here!

I also shy away from such when I stalling my gas tank hoses & tubes (Series with dual tanks).

johnd

Donation Time
I seem to remember that the old-time body guy who helped me with the body work tied a thin rope around the grommet and pulled it in from inside the trunk.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Fitting the trim ring to the filler hole is a PITA .. Prepare for busted fingers and swearing. Have you got the original chrome part or repro one from europe. The original is easier to fit as it ha sa curved base.. The repro was squared off.

Iirc i fitted the grommet then placed the trim ring and used a very small svrew driver to slowly pry the lip of the seal over the top of the trim ring edge. It took ages.. Would pop off and slowly rotating the trim rimg helps.

I did this in 2004 and still remeber how angry i got in the process..... So be patient

My trim ring is squared off so it must be the repo. That is where I am with the grommet in and I'm attempting to get the lip of the grommet over the trim ring. Much cussing already. Just thought I would ask you guys fror advice. I like the suggestion to use a bit of grease or oil. I'm back at it today.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
You know as I review this website, it is always interesting that "what-seem-to-be-such-simple-things-to-do-by-all-of-us" end up taking a bit of time. I too had a similar challenge on my windshield installation and the surrounding stainless steel pieces, very frustrating:(. I just wonder if all the Sunbeam factory workers are looking down from above and laughing at us all, because so many items to them were so simple --- I am sure (these "things" must have been easy at the factory, or a Alpine/Tiger would have had to cost so much more:eek:). But the nice thing is, that once you "get-it-done-finally" you feel good about yourself, share the knowledge and hope you never have to do it again --- to me that meant working under the dash, but oh well:p, I had to many a time as we all have!!!

So true. I have had similar thoughts over the years working on my cars. It seems to me that the engineers who design them don't work on them enough or the designs would be different. Also, it it too bad that the old Sunbeam factory workers couldn't give us amatures a hint now and then instead of simply looking down on us with a grin.

greenbean

Donation Time
One thing that I have used when trying to "fit" various rubber items to the Beam is a paint can opener as it has a small 90 degree bend that often helps with moving the lip of the rubber into place. Just as a note, I took a small file and some sandpaper to smooth out the sharp edges on the paint can opener so as not to tear the rubber surfaces!!!

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Lube and the right size cord in the groove .. pulled thur the trunk/boot area is what worked for me and I didn't even have to invent any new curse words. I did have someone holding it tight against the opening while I slowly pulled it thru.
Greenbeams suggestion with the paint can opener also works great to remove the trim from the SII's hardtop!

.... David

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have the old original one have it re -chromed to show quality; as per my post above , the one I ordered from
Holland? rusted quickly, but I may have contributed to it via the soap I used to install it. Still think it was a crap piece
of chrome work.

bricoladeur

Donation Time
unfortunately i dont have the old one. there is one on ebay right now. but 40$ + 20$delivery + about 20$ for chroming...seems 80$ is a lot for a ring i drive without since 20 years

alpine_64

Donation Time
unfortunately i dont have the old one. there is one on ebay right now. but 40$ + 20$delivery + about 20$ for chroming...seems 80$ is a lot for a ring i drive without since 20 years
If you get good chrome for $20 I'd be running a return service on chrome parts....