• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

I'm so ashamed....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I traded a motorcycle for my car almost 10 years ago. Of course it's been restored, at least body wise ( although I'm still not happy with the paint)
While restoring it, decided that it would make a perfect V6 car. Bought the kit,
engine and trans . It's been languishing in the back of my garage for the last
6 years. I do plan to get back to it but have been too busy. Besides working a regular job, I've restored 2 Alpines, a 1964 Humber Super Snipe and q 1957 Triumph TR3, while refurbishing my Porsche so I'd have something to drive.

At this point, I don't know when I'll get back to it, but I look at it and sit in it every day.

If I had at least one more of me, or days could be twice as long, I might
just be able to finish my car!

Cheers!

Steve

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll help you out by taking that mach1 off your hands....

Then, there are the other cars (pronounced projects).
57 Olds Super 88 2-door hardtop
63 Thunderbird hardtop
65 Mustang (former daily driver)
(the already mentioned 66 Alpine and 69 Mach I)
73 Mustang convertible (see page 42 of Mustang Monthly March 1993 issue)
79 MGB V8 conversion (wife's car)
80 MGB 5-speed conversion
93 Mustang 5.0 LX hatchback (needs nothing, bought new, all original, just thought I'd mention it)
2004 Crown Victoria (several mods completed, more contemplated)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I came to the realization time might be running out and...?

With all the cars I had on hand:
2 50 chev conv's
1 52 chev 2 dr wagon
1 63 volvo 1800 coupe
2 65 SIV'S Alpines
1 66 volvo 2dr 164
3 67 SV's Alpines
1 72 volvo 2 dr
1 82 vw wagon diesel

It was time to share the wealth.... I sold a 50 conv, the 52, 66 &72 volvo's and the one and only VW Diesel.

As a result of me recognizing that I was not ever going to be able to complete their restorations, the conv and 52 are now on the road along with the Diesel.

Since those moves, I have never regretted, and have advanced to the stage where I can concentrate on my Alpines for the present.

Yea! One day I keep telling myself I will get to the others".... ;)

Keep'em on-the-road ... not sitt'n in the rust.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
..... I should add,

Though I know I really 'should' replace the old leaking shocks and all the dried out rubber suspension components (the car literally hops from bump to bump), and then get an alignment done (God knows the last time that was ever done but amazingly it seems to track straight), so far, it gets me the short distances I've been driving it to and none of that is noticeable once it parked to show so there's very little motivation for me to go back to working on it again.

Last edited:

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
You guys have serious 'resorations in waiting'. My wife thinks two Alpines and an Imp are too many.

65beam

Donation Time
ashamed

You guys have serious 'resorations in waiting'. My wife thinks two Alpines and an Imp are too many.

Thank gosh the wife has never wanted to buy an Imp. That would mean another stash of parts. She started the restoration process in 1994 and there hasn't been a time since that we weren't in a restoration of a Sunbeam of some kind. One more left after the current car. If we get it back next week she hopes to have it together for the United in September.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor

Well now when I start a sentence with, "Hey, guess what I found...", my wife cuts me off mid sentence with a very sharp "NO!".;)

Last edited:

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Like JimJordan I'm in year 10 of a two year project. Two more deployments to the Middle East along with other trips away from home got in the way. The eventual retirement came and I took a job 300 miles from home for two more years. This past Feb, I started flying helicopters at a flight school for a living. I can't call that a job and keep a straight face.

My Dad gave me a 1950 GMC dually flatbed truck that took another year and a half to get road worthy and also ate my sunbeam paint budget. I take it out once a week to the local pub.

Now, I fly an average of six days per week and walk by the sunbeam longingly as I go in and out of the shop. About a month ago, I did melt out all the failing lead joints and started welding in metal patches in the gaping wounds. There is a fresh 2.8 on the engine stand ready to go in for about the 5th time....all the floorboards and trunk panels are replaced and there is some body work to do. All the extra holes in the firewall are patched and welded shut and a new vintage air heater system plumbed in.

Of course my bride has house remodel projects and exterior changes that never seem to end.

Lost but not forgotten. Excuses....bah, humbug.