• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Splined Hubs for wire wheels

Greg D.

Donation Time
Guys, Are the spline hubs the same size for every series or did they change at some point?

Thanks,

Greg D.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Both the steel and wire FRONT hubs are common to Alpine Series I-V. However, the REAR steel/wire hubs are common with Series I-IV but they differ with the Series V and they (SV) cannot be used on an earlier car. So, SV rear hubs cannot be used on any Alpine other than SV.

The rims are the same throughout Series I-V.

Mark ..... volvoguys

mikephillips

Donation Time
To provide a bit more detail, both the front and rear hubs are the same size for the splined and threaded part all through Alpine production. They're the same size as MG, TR and other similar sized British cars, although wheel diameters vary. Jaguars, Cobras, and other larger size cars used larger diameter hubs. There was a change in Alpine rears as noted, the axle for the V changed from the I-IV axle requiring a larger tapered hole in the hub and also a larger diameter seal on the brake backing plate. So the early hub will not seat fully on a later axle and the later hub will not be snug on the early axle.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
...They're the same size as MG, TR and other similar sized British cars, although wheel diameters vary. Jaguars, Cobras, and other larger size cars used larger diameter hubs...

Mike: I know the 13" Midget wheels will fit on an Alpine, but are you saying the larger 14" MG and Triumph wheels will also fit?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike: I know the 13" Midget wheels will fit on an Alpine, but are you saying the larger 14" MG and Triumph wheels will also fit?

Iirc the mgb wheels have a more profiled hub that will interfere with the calliper on the front wheels.. Tried this back in 1997... So a little foggy on the detail. I know they can be made to work.. But think the 14" B wheels had an issue of interference at least on some series.

mikephillips

Donation Time
All I'm really saying is that the diameter of the splined hub for them is the same. With considering the larger assembly including brakes and other bits, there can be interference as noted between the wheel hub, spokes and caliper. You probably can find a way to make them work by reengineering the front end, but is it worth it. Really just means that the subject as a whole is more complicated than just two main sizes for the hub diameter in British cars.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. I didn't think it would work - at least not without considerable effort - but wanted to be sure. I think it would be really nice to have an easy 14" wire wheel option. Maybe someday.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a guy in SC with an Alpine and it has 14 inch MGB wires on it. He told me it was a direct fit with no mods. Makes you look twice as I am used to seeing small 13 inch wires on an Alpine!

Attachments

• 14 inch wire wheels.jpg
    14 inch wire wheels.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
14" MG wires on an Alpine....

The Gent that has done it is Jerry Tolbert. Lives in Spartanburg, SC

If interested let me know and I will make contact for you.

I have seen them and they are very nice fit....

He also won 1st Place in the Alpine Division art the Greenvile, SC British Car Show June this year.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
To make a series v accept series I-IV hubs, aren't the axles interchangeable?

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a guy in SC with an Alpine and it has 14 inch MGB wires on it. He told me it was a direct fit with no mods. Makes you look twice as I am used to seeing small 13 inch wires on an Alpine!

The Gent that has done it is Jerry Tolbert. Lives in Spartanburg, SC

If interested let me know and I will make contact for you.

I have seen them and they are very nice fit....

He also won 1st Place in the Alpine Division art the Greenvile, SC British Car Show June this year.

Thanks guys. Very interesting. I am a long (maybe next lifetime?) way from thinking about the wheels in my S3, but asked the question so that it was documented here. With 13" tires getting harder and harder to find, a 14" wire option is at least good to know about.