• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Practicality of Women

srbaker

Donation Time
If you have read any of my posts you know I bought a rolling chassis and a parts car to end up with a running Alpine. In order to be able to achieve this I decided to build a new 20X24 garage. The garage is in the process of being built with considerable cost overruns already. The end result is probably going to be roughly 25k give or take. In addition I bought a new larger air compressor, a new media blaster, an engine hoist, engine stand, etc etc. In the meantime I have the opportunity to purchase a complete car at an attractive price. I have stressed through all of this with respect to the dollars being spent and should I pull the trigger on the complete car. After a visit today from the contractor it looks like my whole driveway is going to have to be dug up, regraded then repaved (another 5k) due to the finished elevation of the new floor. Something to do with drainage and not allowing it to adversely affect my neighbors driveway.

My wife of 30 years has always been a practical woman and we counter each other well. She has always supported me in whatever endeavor I decide I just have to do or want. So it was not unexpected to hear her say, " You know if you had just waited a little longer for a car to become available you could have bought a very nice car for the money you are spending on this garage. You could have then spent the summer enjoying it. "

I had one of those Homer Simpson "Doh" moments shortly thereafter. It takes a woman to see the obvious and bring you down to earth very quickly. Not to mention taking all the fun out of being an irresponsible male!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The car doesn't matter. The great garage stands by itself, and was a worthy goal.

Mike

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Look at the Pros & Cons.
Nice car:
Pros - Ready to drive, no maintenance needed (now).
Cons - Initial cost higher, will need maintenance down the road,
New garage:
Pros - Increased property value, new home to protect your car, new "playroom" if you like working/customizing your cars.
Cons - New "playroom" if you don't like working/customizing your cars. Initial costs.

You can add your own pros & cons.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You could always play the"What if" game:D And come up with all sorts of things.

DanR

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
IMHO, I think you win on all accounts.

1. New Garage
2. Good car, ready to drive
3. Wife who understands you, yet supports you anyway (I have one of those practice women as well)

Perfect.