• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Bolt Holes on bottom of Fuel Tank

67Survivor

Donation Time
Can anyone tell me what the hole on the bottom of each fuel tank next to the outlet pipe is for please? The tanks were already removed when I purchased the car, and I am finding that a few pieces seem to be missing. The obvious answer is that it is a drain of some sort. Does it take a regular bolt, or a drain valve of some sort? Do I use some sort of sealant on the bolt as well? Any info would be great. I did try to attach a photo, but.... anyways....
Thank you,
Rob

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am re-doing the interiors of the fuel tanks on my Series V right now. Those holes are drains. There are drain plugs with flat head screw tops. Picture is attached. You should have a hole in the rear quarter panel bottom, so you can insert a screw driver through the hole to loosen the drain plugs and drain the tanks. I haven't removed the drain plugs on my tanks. I drained the fuel tanks at my fuel filter, which is the near the balance pipe outlet. That left some fuel sitting in the tanks still, so I stuffed a rag in each outlet pipe opening when removing the tanks.

I plan to do the interior tank coating with the drain plugs in place. I figure that will result in one less possible leak point. I just don't see that I will be using those drains in the future.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

67Survivor

Donation Time
Thank you very much Mike. I don't see why I would ever drain the tank there instead of disconnecting to center pipe from the metal line under the car. a couple of bolts should do the trick.

67Survivor

Donation Time
I stand corrected, a couple of bolts won't do the trick....
Can anyone tell me what the thread pattern is on these drain plugs? I have tried both imperial and metric in fine thread and neither seem to fit. The closest seemed to be a 10MM fine. Is this possibly a "Whitworth"? At this point, I am thinking a couple of welded up holes would do the trick...

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks like it is 28 tpi. It measures 0.390" where it exits the hole and 0.392" at its end. I would expect it to be tapered to create a seal. So it should be a tapered pipe thread. A guess is British Standard Taper Pipe Thread. Wikipedia has a size chart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe

1/8 size looks like a candidate:
Size - 1/8
TPI - 28
Decimal Major - 0.383
Decimal Minor - 0.3372

Hopefully someone familiar with pipe threads will chime in to confirm or refute the guess here.

Mike

67Survivor

Donation Time
Wow Mike,
Thank you for all of your effort. My first stop today was a plumbing supplier as I expected they would have a something tapered to fit. We tried what they had listed as a 1/8, but it was too big for the hole. I'm guessing that a British 1/8 might have a slightly different threading. I could retap for a more standard size, but welding it over is one less potential leak point.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Dose my 64 S3 have those bolt/plugs in the bottom of the tanks? Reason I ask is I have a gas smell after sitting in the trunk area but can't find any leaks in any of the piping and wondering if it's them. Thanks.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Probably. I think the left tank remained constant from series III to V. Check if you have the access holes under the car.

Have you checked the 3/8" rubber vent pipe condition?

Mike

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Probably. I think the left tank remained constant from series III to V. Check if you have the access holes under the car.

Have you checked the 3/8" rubber vent pipe condition?

Mike
Yes I replaced it with a temporary plastic line with no improvement