• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 hardtop attachment

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi folks. I've been unable to find any pics or info on how the hardtop attaches just behind the doors on my 1962 Alpine. If anyone has a pic or info on what type of latch or hold down bolt was used it would be greatly appreciated. My hardtop has the triangular pieces that go on top of the chrome plated part on the body just behind the door opening...

Thanks!
Len

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Fastback,

You provided a "local" URL directly from your network (meaning that your link is not accessible to anyone off your network).

You will need to put the PDF on a hosting side and then put that link in your post.

Len:

Perhaps another member can offer you some photos; I can but direct you to a pdf file of the parts manual. You can find some valuable info there (refer to "Tech Data" section); here's a short cut to a diagram:

http://192.168.1.1:8181/http://www....oads/Alpine parts manual SI-SV searchable.pdf

Hope this helps.

Wayne

RootesRacer

Donation Time

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Hi folks. I've been unable to find any pics or info on how the hardtop attaches just behind the doors on my 1962 Alpine. If anyone has a pic or info on what type of latch or hold down bolt was used it would be greatly appreciated. My hardtop has the triangular pieces that go on top of the chrome plated part on the body just behind the door opening...

Thanks!
Len

Hi Len ... Check S.S. catalog ... It's HT22 .. it's a specialty type bolt.

.... David

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Make sure the threads in the B-post caps are good, and correct, before ordering the bolts. If I remember correctly these bolts were made to be retained in the triangle piece attached to the top. If they are missing it could mean the threads in the B-post cap have stripped and re-tapped for a slightly larger bolt.
Had this issue myself when I restored the hardtop.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Make sure the threads in the B-post caps are good, and correct, before ordering the bolts. If I remember correctly these bolts were made to be retained in the triangle piece attached to the top. If they are missing it could mean the threads in the B-post cap have stripped and re-tapped for a slightly larger bolt.
Had this issue myself when I restored the hardtop.

Thanks Bull ... I haven't ordered mine yet and had thought of the issue you mention but wasn't sure ... one more thing to check!

.... David

Fastback

Donation Time
Yup.

My goof; neglected to edit the link.

There are days when even tying my shoes is a struggle...

Thanks for setting me straight!

Wayne

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series II Hardtop bolts

Echoing the comments from others - check the threads. One side of mine was stripped, the other was OK but re-tapped both. The stock bolts were really nice - chrome plated, shoulder bolts with a nice tapered or spherical centering section below the head. I went looking for them today hoping to send you a picture, but ...

I believe the bolts were a fine pitch thread (UNF), so that is something to check if you have to chase the threads.

99ZoomR

Gold Level Sponsor
There don't appear to be any threads left in the B-post caps on my car. I'm guessing they were stripped out a long time ago. I actually did find the specialty bolts I had ordered way back when I got the headliner and other parts from SS. I'd carefully stored them away so of course I forgot I had them... I'll see if I can figure out another option for securing that part of the hardtop. Twisted wire just doesn't look good...:rolleyes:

Thanks again...Len

alpine_64

Donation Time
There don't appear to be any threads left in the B-post caps on my car. I'm guessing they were stripped out a long time ago. I actually did find the specialty bolts I had ordered way back when I got the headliner and other parts from SS. I'd carefully stored them away so of course I forgot I had them... I'll see if I can figure out another option for securing that part of the hardtop. Twisted wire just doesn't look good...:rolleyes:

Thanks again...Len

The castings are not great... you can get some second hand ones hoping they are better( note there are 2 types, one flat one with a raised ledge to the outside of the car) see if you can helicoil your current ones, I did that with mine. Just don't overtighten the bolt of you use helicoils